• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being harassed by trespessers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lau2046

Long story short, I live in a condo and for about a year, I've been harassed by a group of college age kids, namely two guys and their muscle cars. They use the condo parking lot as a hang out (there's a pond by our building) and they just use the lot and dump their trash, hang out in cars facing my window and drag race off the lot. They're usually so loud, they wake people. Tonight the two guys showed up in their muscle cars and revved the engine to get my attention - sometimes they beat the horn to get me to come to the window.

I've called the cops several times so they know me and see me clearly from where they're parked. If I kept my windows shut and the shades down all the time, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue, but I actually like to let the air in and see the swans so since I live here, it's my right to have my bedroom windows open if I want. The first few times the cops came out, checked their driver's license but they stayed after the cops left. I found out they said they were "waiting for a friend." The second time the cops came by they said "they just moved in." They're 18 years old. At no time did the cop asked them which building and what unit but I was spoken to afterwards and the cop said he didn't know why they're parked outside my window doing this "but it's a free parking lot." Translation, they'll do nothing. BTW, isn't it illegal to lie to the police?

Every weekend, they drive onto the lot, park by my window, make a lot of noise and drag race off. Never changes. They were so disruptive tonight they woke my parents, who say they'll mention to the condo association, but I expect nothing from this.

How can I stop this harassment, legally? I've confronted them, called the police and still it keeps happening. I asked to file a complaint against them once and the police acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I'm planning on speaking to the condo manager and buying a night video camera but I'm at a loss how to stop this harassment. I can't take this happening every weekend until these jerks grow up, and I can't just move, we don't have that kind of money. I'd appreciate any feedback because I'm running out of patience.

commentator

Quote: "they know me and see me clearly from where they're parked. If I kept my windows shut and the shades down all the time, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue, but I actually like to let the air in and see the swans so since I live here, it's my right to have my bedroom windows open if I want."

I'm sure you love the fresh air and everything, but my family solved a similar problem in an apartment complex by closing those windows, turning on the a.c., getting heavy light blocking drapes on those windows, and a nice set of earplugs for us inside. After a few days of revving and whooping and waiting for the "game" of aggravating you to continue, waiting for the police to come so they could lie to them, they got bored with sitting around in this particular parking lot and decided to go elsewhere. Meanwhile, we were inside asleep.

Sometimes taking away the fight, at least for a while, works lots better than escalating with the law and screaming at them and trying to get them punished.

Last edited:

Lau2046

Why do I need to keep my shades down and put air conditioning in the fall or ever? Do I have to wake my family by going into their rooms and shut the windows to turn on the AC? I live here and I pay to live here. These people are trespassing. They don't live in the condo and they're waking the other residents in my building with their late night drag racing. What if one of our residents was out with their dog? We have two signs posted stating it's private property so that makes it criminal trespassing. It isn't the public park.

CdwJava

Long story short, I live in a condo and for about a year, I've been harassed by a group of college age kids, namely two guys and their muscle cars. They use the condo parking lot as a hang out (there's a pond by our building) and they just use the lot and dump their trash, hang out in cars facing my window and drag race off the lot. They're usually so loud, they wake people. Tonight the two guys showed up in their muscle cars and revved the engine to get my attention - sometimes they beat the horn to get me to come to the window.

I've called the cops several times so they know me and see me clearly from where they're parked. If I kept my windows shut and the shades down all the time, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue, but I actually like to let the air in and see the swans so since I live here, it's my right to have my bedroom windows open if I want. The first few times the cops came out, checked their driver's license but they stayed after the cops left. I found out they said they were "waiting for a friend." The second time the cops came by they said "they just moved in." They're 18 years old. At no time did the cop asked them which building and what unit but I was spoken to afterwards and the cop said he didn't know why they're parked outside my window doing this "but it's a free parking lot." Translation, they'll do nothing. BTW, isn't it illegal to lie to the police?
First, what state are you in?

Second, are you a representative of the HOA or condo commission/board? If not, I doubt you have the legal authority to sign a complaint or private person's arrest for trespassing in the parking lot. As such, the police couldn't do much of anything, and they're not going to expend resources to investigate their claims of residence or visiting a friend on a simple noise complaint.

I would recommend you work with the governing body of your property to come up with a legally enforceable policy that will allow you and other residents to address such interlopers in the future.

How can I stop this harassment, legally? I've confronted them, called the police and still it keeps happening. I asked to file a complaint against them once and the police acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.
Depending on your un-named state's laws, you might have the right to demand a private person's arrest (aka citizen's arrest) against someone who is disturbing your peace.

commentator

Why do I need to keep my shades down and put air conditioning in the fall or ever? Do I have to wake my family by going into their rooms and shut the windows to turn on the AC? I live here and I pay to live here. These people are trespassing. They don't live in the condo and they're waking the other residents in my building with their late night drag racing. What if one of our residents was out with their dog? We have two signs posted stating it's private property so that makes it criminal trespassing. It isn't the public park.
And here I choose to disengage from someone who clearly is seeking out conflict. Solve the problem, within a couple of weeks, or continue your battle. If it's really a hill worth dying on, keep going.

eerelations

If you had bothered to read commentator's thoughtful and informative post, you would have seen that closing the shades etc. would only happen for a short period of time, probably as short as a few days.

But as commentator has noted in subsequent post, you've made it clear you're looking for conflict, not problem resolution. So have at it, hope your family enjoys the stress! :rolleyes:

Lau2046

I'm looking to stop them from using my condo as their weekend hang out and drag race site. I do have his license plate and will be bringing it up with the property manager but I'm not going to alter my life to suit these people blowing past the private property signs. I live in Massachusetts and I'll be exploring every avenue. People who don't live at the condo don't have a right to wake the residents up because they feel like it.

Eekamouse

How do you KNOW that they aren't residents of the condos? If it turns out they do live there, what are you going to do? They have as much right as you do to use the parking lot. Commentator offered you good advice but you just want to turn this into a battle that probably will be the first of many battles you're going to engage in, judging from your attitude here. If you succeed in running these boys off, next it'll probably loud children running around screaming and playing by the pond.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm looking to stop them from using my condo as their weekend hang out and drag race site. I do have his license plate and will be bringing it up with the property manager but I'm not going to alter my life to suit these people blowing past the private property signs. I live in Massachusetts and I'll be exploring every avenue. People who don't live at the condo don't have a right to wake the residents up because they feel like it.

Seems clear enough to me

eerelations

...I'm not going to alter my life to suit these people blowing past the private property signs.
Even just for a few days? When that would probably solve the problem?

Oh wait, I forgot, you don't actually want to solve this problem! You want to have a big old fight! With a lot of stress and the possibility of violence! (Don'tcha just love the smell of violence in the air? Soooo exciting!) Well again, have at it buddy! :rolleyes:

(I'm starting to feel really sorry for your family, having to live with a belligerent old sod like you.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">