• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for computer program I wrote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomjones1254

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I wrote a stock trading program and gave it to a friend of mine to use. We had no contract, written or verbal. It was designed to make $100 per day then quit. Apparently over time it lost him $30,000. Now I'm being sued in civil court for triple damages plus attorney fees. His dad is a lawyer and filed the suite on his behalf. How should I respond? I'm told the law does not protect suckers and guess what - he could have taken his money out of the program at anytime. What should I do? I don't have money to spend on a lawyer. This seems like a completely frivolous lawsuit to me and grounds for disbarment due to the nepotism involved.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I wrote a stock trading program and gave it to a friend of mine to use. We had no contract, written or verbal. It was designed to make $100 per day then quit. Apparently over time it lost him $30,000. Now I'm being sued in civil court for triple damages plus attorney fees. His dad is a lawyer and filed the suite on his behalf. How should I respond? I'm told the law does not protect suckers and guess what - he could have taken his money out of the program at anytime. What should I do? I don't have money to spend on a lawyer. This seems like a completely frivolous lawsuit to me and grounds for disbarment due to the nepotism involved.
You did not profit from the program in any way at all? You did not maliciously give your friend a program that couldn't work? I think that its critical that you get yourself an attorney ASAP. There is just too much money involved not to do so. See if the attorney thinks that its frivolous.

tomjones1254

You did not profit from the program in any way at all? You did not maliciously give your friend a program that couldn't work? I think that its critical that you get yourself an attorney ASAP. There is just too much money involved not to do so. See if the attorney thinks that its frivolous.

no I did not make a single penny nor was I paid to write the program. It was an experiment that obviously didn't work out.

tomjones1254

by the way did you not read the part that said: "I don't have money to spend on a lawyer." Why would I come onto this law forum if the only piece of advice I'm getting is to go consulting a lawyer!!!???

justalayman

Nobody here can or will teach you in 5 easy lessons how to defend yourself in court.

Ldij's suggestion was very accurate. There is enough money involved here that you can't afford to not hire an attorney. That means find a way to pay for one.

Personally, based on what you have provided I don't see the plaintiff prevailing but that is irrelevant if you can't defend yourself in court. So, especially given your presence here, it is clearly obvious you can't afford to not hire an attorney.

As to the nepotism comment; sorry dude but there is nothing improper about a an attoemey representing a relative. In addition, nothing posted comes close to anything that could result in being disbarred but you are welcome to file a complaint with the Bar Association the attorney is a member of

eerelations

by the way did you not read the part that said: "I don't have money to spend on a lawyer." Why would I come onto this law forum if the only piece of advice I'm getting is to go consulting a lawyer!!!???
Your rudeness is going to be a real hindrance to you getting any more free advice here.

That said, the reason you were advised to retain an attorney is that it would be completely impossible for the expert volunteers here to walk you through a case of this nature and scope. It's not only not what this forum is about, it's the sheer size of the amount of work involved - not feasible for anyone here, most if not all of whom have full time (and more!) obligations elsewhere.

Bottom line is, you either find the money to pay an attorney and then possibly win this case, or neglect to retain an attorney and lose for sure. Your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">