• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by a friend for damaging his ATR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

watcsingh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington

A friend of 20 years was in town to attend a wedding reception and wanted to park their camper in our drive way. They offered to take me and my kids 4 wheeling on their ATV. I specifically asked how safe it was and that I have never done something like this before. They never disclosed that their ATV did not have insurance nor did they say that they are not required to have insurance (I found out afterwards that they are not required to have insurance).
During the outing, my son, 16 went for a ride and hit a bump that caused him to roll the ATV - nobody saw what happened as this is a 1600 acre public land and no one else was there. When I came upon the spot on another ATV, his ATV was parked to the side of the road and had a flat tire, likely due to hitting the bump. I waited for the friend to show up and we STARTED and towed the ATV with the flat tire to his truck. After this, the friend said we can stay and ride the other ATV which we did for another hour or so.
Next day, Sunday, the friend left and drove home 200 miles away. On Tuesday, he called me saying he had taken the ATV in to the dealer to assess the damage and it was $4200. He wants me to "fix the ATV to the condition it was in."
Please note that this ATV is 7 years old, the owner rides it all the time, there was no visible damage after incident, we were able to start and tow it. He did not tell me when he was going to the dealer and what damages were caused by me. What I need help on is - how do I know what damage was caused by me and what the condition of the ATV was prior to my riding it? I will repeat, and he acknowledged, we do not know what happened. The average value of a similar ATV with 7 years of use is $5000. I am not trying to deny my responsibility but I do not know how can he determine how much damage was caused by me since he rides it and that there could have have been damages from his prior rides.

watcsingh

Thanks for responding

Ask your friend for an itemization of the damages and for a second estimate.
I would but he insists all of the damage was caused by me. He is not acknowledging that any of that could have been from him his own use of the vehicle.
Thank You

xylene

Yes, and that is exactly why he need to provide you an itemization of exactly what the damages are (and the cost for each)

Even if 100% of everyting is on you, asking for a second estimate is fair.

watcsingh

OK - that makes sense - thank you

Yes, and that is exactly why he need to provide you an itemization of exactly what the damages are (and the cost for each)

Even if 100% of everyting is on you, asking for a second estimate is fair.
That is a good idea - I will ask for a second quote.

RRevak

Rolling a 4 wheeler can cause extensive damage to the frame, wheels, steering, and much more. They're heavy so it isn't like it just rolls and shakes things off. Plus, if you know zero about 4 wheelers you saying there was no "visible" damage doesn't mean anything. Its also expensive to fix them since it isn't like you can take them anywhere to repair. Yes itemized statements for repair are good but just know in my opinion (as a multiple 4 wheeler owner) his amount might not be too far off considering its accident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also note that you/your son are only responsible for the damages up to the fair market value of the ATV (I'll call it a "bike" for simplification.) If the bike is only worth $3,000, then that's the max you are responsible for, regardless of what the cost to repair the damages are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">