• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued over a bar fight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PoorWhiteBoy

What is the name of your state? California

I got into a bar fight back in April of 2004. My group of friends got into a verbal altercation with another group of friends. A girl threw a drink in my face and i punched her (I am a man) once. The copy came, I got arrested and went to jail. I pleaded No Contest to the case, paid my $320 fine, did 10 anger management sessions and $1700 in restituion for medical bills to the "victim".

Now I received a subponea and have been informed the victim wishes to sue me for punitive damages, legal fees and lost wages.

The doctor reports said no permanent damage was done to the victim.

I am of low income, but cannot get any low cost of free legal adivice in my area.

The lawyer is seeking 25k + in damages which would bury me financially to the point of bankruptcy.

I am wondering what advice anyone would have for me?

PoorWhiteBoy said:
What is the name of your state? California

I got into a bar fight back in April of 2004. My group of friends got into a verbal altercation with another group of friends. A girl threw a drink in my face and i punched her (I am a man) once. The copy came, I got arrested and went to jail. I pleaded No Contest to the case, paid my $320 fine, did 10 anger management sessions and $1700 in restituion for medical bills to the "victim".

Now I received a subponea and have been informed the victim wishes to sue me for punitive damages, legal fees and lost wages.

The doctor reports said no permanent damage was done to the victim.

I am of low income, but cannot get any low cost of free legal adivice in my area.

The lawyer is seeking 25k + in damages which would bury me financially to the point of bankruptcy.

I am wondering what advice anyone would have for me?
Don't hit women.

P

PoorWhiteBoy

Please

John,

For obvious reasons your post is not wanted on this site. Women have been known to stab, shoot, kill, strangle, murder and sell their bodies for $. Enough with this "dont hit women" because women, while being physically weaker usually, are mentally just as capable as their male peers.

She yelled at me as I was leaving, I turned around, she walked about 3 feet and threw a full pint of beer in my face. I was drunk, and angry as well as she, I reacted. How can you justify her or my actions? Would you throw a beer in an angry patrons face?

So, now that I have dismissed you, could I get some real help with this?

M

meganproser

Do you have a prior record?

Are there credible witnesses who will testify that they saw her throw the beer on you?

Why didn't you insist that SHE be charged, if in fact she began the fight? Was it clear to the police at the scene that she had thrown a beer in your face? Why didn't you contest your criminal charge?

What do you mean you've received a subpoena?

>>Now I received a subponea and have been informed the victim wishes to sue me for punitive damages, legal fees and lost wages.

She WISHES to sue you? IS she suing you or not?

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
Do you have a prior record?

Are there credible witnesses who will testify that they saw her throw the beer on you? I think the criminal trial is over Megan. :rolleyes:

Why didn't you insist that SHE be charged, if in fact she began the fight? Was it clear to the police at the scene that she had thrown a beer in your face? Why didn't you contest your criminal charge? Megan, try real hard and think for a second. :rolleyes:

What do you mean you've received a subpoena? It means he received a subpoena. :rolleyes:

>>Now I received a subponea and have been informed the victim wishes to sue me for punitive damages, legal fees and lost wages.

She WISHES to sue you? IS she suing you or not?
It appears so Megan. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
P

PoorWhiteBoy

On the police statements, all witnesses, her's and mine, state that she walked forward and threw a beer in my face after demanding I leave, which I was doing.

I asked the office can i press charges on her he said absolutely not .This was incorrect and i could/should have. I may appeal my verdict and then go back in court depending on what happens next.

I received a summons for a civil court case so the victim can get loss of wages, lawyer fees, punitive damages, etc.

What else is there do describe?

Shay-Pari'e

PoorWhiteBoy said:
On the police statements, all witnesses, her's and mine, state that she walked forward and threw a beer in my face after demanding I leave, which I was doing.

I asked the office can i press charges on her he said absolutely not .This was incorrect and i could/should have. I may appeal my verdict and then go back in court depending on what happens next.

I received a summons for a civil court case so the victim can get loss of wages, lawyer fees, punitive damages, etc.

What else is there do describe?

Nothing, You described it all in great detail. The issue is that you will be facing another judge and simply getting more poor!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PoorWhiteBoy

Not true. The court DA said "This kind of lawsuit sickens me. Have that lawyer call me about this case."

That is pretty powerful if you ask me. Any judge would look at this and see it as over reaching and basic extortion. How could a first time misdemeanor battery warrant 25k+ in fines?

She has some responsibility in this case, and the judge has already told me that.

Also superior and small claims are one court in my small town. This law passed many years ago to join the courts into one. I have 2 judges, have dealt with both, and both are heavily swayed by the DA and HER (thats right a WOMAN) has stated that I have been nothing but cooperative and admitted my guilt. The courts like this, basic honesty.

I seriously doubt I will face a 25k fine, however I feel that i will face some kind of fine. I just hope to spin this around, jack up the victims lawyer fee's and walk away with a fine. If not, i will have to file for bankruptcy. I own no property at all, no assets.

This "victim" is trying to get blood from a turnip.

M

meganproser

How much is she claiming in lost wages? Just curious. Also, how old are you?

M

meganproser

Paradise, does this chick sound like someone who makes 25K even in a YEAR, lol.

She probably works at Kmart and lost all of $50.00 in wages.

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
LMAO, yes, that's right Paradise, I've got it from here. You can go to bed now!
On my way to work, and you have no idea what you are doing or saying.

But then again, you are a self proclaimed "Non Lawyer Idiot".

This should be interesting,LMAO!

M

meganproser

This is true. I am not a lawyer and I certainly can be an idiot. Never the less, I don't mind chatting with someone who is obviously in a bind and can use all the help he can get. Call me crazy, but I am interested in the guy's problem.

Megan, the non lawyer idiot crazy person

Last edited:
M

meganproser

Now you're just working yourself into a tizzy Paradise.

>>How would you even begin to know or assume what someone makes as a income

I wouldn't. That's why I ASKED the guy. Why did YOU assume the 25K he is being sued for, is primarily her lost wages.

I'm not going to argue any further with you. Feel free to call me whatever names you like if it helps you release your frustration!

Have a good day at work!

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
Now you're just working yourself into a tizzy Paradise.

>>How would you even begin to know or assume what someone makes as a income

I wouldn't. That's why I ASKED the guy.

Really? Where?
meganproser
Member Join Date: Jun 2002

Paradise, does this chick sound like someone who makes 25K even in a YEAR, lol.

She probably works at Kmart and lost all of $50.00 in wages.

Why did YOU assume the 25K he is being sued for, is primarily her lost wages. I didn't, you did.

I'm not going to argue any further with you. Feel free to call me whatever names you like if it helps you release your frustration! Not frustrated, laughing maybe, but not frustrated . Arn't you supposed to be giving legal advice to the guy? Did you get your chat rooms mixed up?

Have a good day at work!
Alway's do. :D

OH! It is :"PARIDISE", it's really not difficult.

Megan? This is a legal advice site, not "Elimidate"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">