• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill of Review granted. Judges and lawyers seem clueless about previous case-law.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXNJX

State: TEXAS

I was recently the defendant in a Bill of Review that was granted, and now my divorce has been undone. I've retained an appeals attorney to challenge the Bill of Review.

For various reasons, my situation isn't critical and I'm in a very good strategic position. I don't need too much strategy advice at the moment.

I AM trying to understand the case-law as it pertains to my case because I need to be smart about how I manage my attorneys.

I've been as involved in my case as I can possibly be, and I've survived five years worth of ongoing litigation without putting my attorney's kids through college. So far, I've only paid for half of my attorney's new corvette.

I could obviously seek out and retain a new top-notch attorney, and spend countless thousands of dollars to achieve my goals, but I'm already in an exceptionally good position. I'm just looking for the shortest path to the exit so I can put a legitimate end to all of these legal entanglements.

The more I study case-law, and the more I talk to judges and attorneys, the more I'm convinced that nobody understands the nuts and bolts of the law in general or the Bill of Review in particular. I need some advice to help me point my attorney in the right direction.

Let's start with this puzzle:

I'm convinced that the Bill of Review was granted contrary to the precedents established by previous case-law.

I tried to manage my lawyer in a way to demonstrate to the judge how to rule correctly. My attorney had no interested in being schooled by me and the judge had no interest in being schooled by my attorney. I'm interest in justice being served -- but I might be the only one involved who cares. In any case, that didn't happen and the Bill of Review was granted contrary to previous case-law.

My appeals attorney wanted to appeal -- sounds logical, no?

Well, appeals courts have previously ruled that a Bill of Review granted serves to re-open the underlying case. This is supposed to be followed by the court ruling on the matters raised by Bill of Review followed by a new judgement -- a new divorce decree in my case.

Previous appeals courts have ruled that a Bill of Review granted re-opens the underlying case and therefore is interlocutory and not subject to appeal. (More specifically, interlocutory appeals are restricted to a short list of very specific things that don't apply to my case.) So I can't appeal the Bill of Review until AFTER a new ruling is issued.

Another avenue to attack the validity of the Bill of Review is a Writ of Mandamus. Mandamus relief asks the appeals court to compel a government employee to perform his or her job in a manner consistent with law. This can be used to force a judge to comply with the law when the judge's actions aren't correct or proper.

Understandably, previous appeals court decisions have ruled that Mandamus relief is available only when no other remedy exists. Unfortunately for me, previous appeals courts have also ruled that they consider appeal to be an adequate remedy.

At first it was disheartening to realize that I couldn't seek Mandamus relief and an appeal had to wait until after a new judgement. But then I realized that any temporary order of the court (as is common in a divorce case) would trigger my ability to seek Mandamus relief because those can't be remedied by appeal.

Presently, the orders of the court simply grant the Bill of Review and the court docket shows the case as closed. More than 30 days have passed and nobody has filed any post-judgement motions.

Previous appeals court opinions show that a Bill of Review granted should be followed by a re-trial of the underlying case under the new (unique) case number of the Bill of Review. A new judgement should be issued under the new case number that disposes of all matters of the parties and voids the previous judgement issued under the previous case number -- none of this seems to be happening and nobody seems to understand that it is supposed to be happening.

In my case, there's no benefit to paying thousands of dollars for a re-trail and there's nothing useful about the new orders that'll result. At BEST it'll be as good as the results I've already got.

As of this moment, my appeals attorney has nothing he can appeal. If I let him, he'll do STUFF that'll cost MONEY and accomplish little or nothing. I asked him to stand-by until something actionable occurs.

Can anyone explain to me what is supposed to be happening and how to make it happen?

"Let sleeping dogs lie" comes to mind. But I'd prefer to understand the path out of this legal state of limbo so I can put this all behind me and get back to living life like normal people do.

While I appreciate the timeless wisdom of "find a good attorney", I need to know how to spot one when I see one. I need to be well informed.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Without any factual background it would be impossible to even comment. One can only assume that the other party presented a valid argument to re-open the divorce. If your divorce has been going on for 5 years then it is NOT being managed well at all.

tranquility

One of the basic skills one learns in law school is how to read a case. Briefing case after case after case gives one a certain sense about how to get meaning from them. Litigation attorneys and judges continue on that path through their careers. I'm not saying litigating attorneys and judges are great and wise, but, they know how to read a case.

Now, no one is an expert in every jot and title of the law. That's what briefs are for. If you are so sure of your position, brief it. You don't get to throw in a case or two with what you think is important, you start as though no one understands what you are talking about and you teach the law on the particular issue(s) by using cases.

You will find it is far more than reading a bunch of cases and pulling out the parts you want.

TXNJX

Without any factual background it would be impossible to even comment. One can only assume that the other party presented a valid argument to re-open the divorce. If your divorce has been going on for 5 years then it is NOT being managed well at all.
I agree with your sentiment.

My divorce lasted two years followed by a subsequent custody modification and bill of review -- all over a five year time-span.

I'd be happy to discuss the merits of the Bill of Review case, and I'm convinced that you'd agree with my assessment that the Bill of Review shouldn't have been granted. However, it has been granted and that's all water under the bridge at this point.

I agree that this divorce has been managed poorly. I suggest that it's a more accurate indication of the state of the court system, judges, attorneys and the litigious nature of my ex spouse than it is a reflection of my ability to navigate. In any case, your advice is appreciated.

So then, if my divorce has been re-opened, where is it? The bill of review shows "closed" on the docket.

Where do I point my attorney and what should he be doing to defend my case? I've asked him (and others) and they're not sure. Too many professionals I've spoken with know less than the things I've learned.

Any help understanding the nuts and bolts of the legal process would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

TXNJX

One of the basic skills one learns in law school is how to read a case. Briefing case after case after case gives one a certain sense about how to get meaning from them. Litigation attorneys and judges continue on that path through their careers. I'm not saying litigating attorneys and judges are great and wise, but, they know how to read a case.

Now, no one is an expert in every jot and title of the law. That's what briefs are for. If you are so sure of your position, brief it. You don't get to throw in a case or two with what you think is important, you start as though no one understands what you are talking about and you teach the law on the particular issue(s) by using cases.

You will find it is far more than reading a bunch of cases and pulling out the parts you want.
Having never been to Law School, briefing a case is foreign to me. However, your point is well taken about pulling bits and pieces out of a bunch of cases. I do understand the concept that the context of each case is necessary to put specific details into perspective. As an amateur I take care to be as wise as possible.

The fact that nobody is an expert on every little part of the law puts me in a unique position because I'm able to study the details of my case far more carefully than any attorney can. At least, any attorney that I can afford to retain.

I'll try to figure out what it means to brief a case because it does seem like its my job to teach my attorney how to handle my specific situation.

tranquility

Having never been to Law School, briefing a case is foreign to me. However, your point is well taken about pulling bits and pieces out of a bunch of cases. I do understand the concept that the context of each case is necessary to put specific details into perspective. As an amateur I take care to be as wise as possible.

The fact that nobody is an expert on every little part of the law puts me in a unique position because I'm able to study the details of my case far more carefully than any attorney can. At least, any attorney that I can afford to retain.

I'll try to figure out what it means to brief a case because it does seem like its my job to teach my attorney how to handle my specific situation.
Here's a good guide on reading a case.

http://www.volokh.com/files/howtoreadv2.pdf

As to knowing the details; putting together a good brief (As in pulling together all of the cases, not in writing up just one case. Different jargon.) has one feel he is the best expert in the world on the law of a particular matter. It is when confronted by the opponent's brief when doubt creeps in.

TXNJX

Shouldn't a "Request for Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law" help me decide if the Bill of Review judge made a correct ruling in the Bill of Review?

Silverplum

Did you read quincy's post in your first thread on this topic?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-litigation-46/bill-review-granted-texas-how-does-work-seems-improper-622237.html

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm just going to throw this out there.

When someone who has not been to law school says yes, and the attorneys and the judges that someone talks to all say no, it's just barely possible that rather than the attorneys and judges being clueless about the law, the flaw in understanding is with the one who has no formal education in the subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">