• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogus Verbal Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SABDavis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania but the claimant lives in Louisiana.

I do contract work all over the U.S. for a company based in Florida. I was called for work in Louisiana and was invited to stay with what was an old friend for 3 weeks of the 4 months that the assignment lasted. During that time she assisted me with with a total of 3 full days of work and all the while maintained her full time job and continued education. She is now claiming that we had a "verbal agreement" for half of my income for the entire assignment since I stayed in her home and for the few days she assisted with the job. As stated, the assignment has lasted over 4 months (still ongoing) and her contribution was a mere 3 days in the field. I am now about to be sued for my earnings for which she is making claim that is rightfully hers. First question: Her only recourse is this bogus "verbal agreement" for she she states I agreed to half of my earnings for her minimum contribution to the very extensive efforts to settle large property losses for which she contributed nothing more than 3 days of scoping the properties under my direction. One can imagine the process of closing these losses is very demanding and for the duration I worked 7 days a week 10-15 hours a day.....again without any assistance by her. It is the most ridiculous accusation I have ever heard, but sadly, I must address it.

Second question: I live in Pennsylvania, can I ask for a change in venue considering 95% of the work was completed by me at my home office here in PA? It is a very sad situation because we were friends and now I have to protect my hard earned income. She was paid and accepted the payments of 2K for her days in the field, but now she is staking claim to 50 percent of my earnings. I plan to retain an attorney, but need some input today. She has retained an attorney in the Louisiana area who is now threatening legal recourse unless I submit half of my earnings which is also subject to immense taxes that I am solely responsible for....any advice? There was never such an agreement made. Who on Earth would agree to give someone half of their income unless they did half of the work? Final note: She had also accessed my private account through my company after I left her residence without my permission to review my payroll and such...trespassing?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">