• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burial troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonascale

Missouri,

If a father as part of his last wishes puts his daughters name on his tombstone so she has a place to rest as part of a dule plot. Can his ex-wife sue his family for damages for carrying out his wishes?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Missouri,

If a father as part of his last wishes puts his daughters name on his tombstone so she has a place to rest as part of a dule plot. Can his ex-wife sue his family for damages for carrying out his wishes?
Can she sue? Yes. Will she win? Just based on the very, very limited amount of information you provided, it's doubtful.

Silverplum

Missouri,

This sounds like something you should discuss with a local civil attorney. I suppose there's more to the story.

quincy

Missouri,

What damages?

jonascale

This sounds like something you should discuss with a local civil attorney. I suppose there's more to the story.
It goes kinda like this. My uncle died two years ago from caner. Today my father was informed via text that his ex-wife wants the daughters name removed or intends to sue him for physiological damages done to her daughter after she noticed that her name was on the stone. Not only is it against his brothers final wishes but very expensive and difficult as the only way to accomplish this is to remove the stone and replace it with a new one.

quincy

It goes kinda like this. My uncle died two years ago from caner. Today my father was informed via text that his ex-wife wants the daughters name removed or intends to sue him for physiological damages done to her daughter after she noticed that her name was on the stone. Not only is it against his brothers final wishes but very expensive and difficult as the only way to accomplish this is to remove the stone and replace it with a new one.
How old is the daughter?

Proserpina

You mean psychological, right?

Maybe someone can put this together for me. But exactly why does Uncle's ex-wife think she has any say in the matter at all?

LdiJ

You mean psychological, right?

Maybe someone can put this together for me. But exactly why does Uncle's ex-wife think she has any say in the matter at all?
The daughter might be a minor.

jonascale, you are making us pull teeth to get even the most basic information from you. Its really difficult to give you any valid advice.

Proserpina

The daughter might be a minor.

jonascale, you are making us pull teeth to get even the most basic information from you. Its really difficult to give you any valid advice.
I get that the daughter might be a minor, but this guy was her father - I'm genuinely puzzled about who thinks they can do what in this situation.

Why is this causing so much angst? What's so bad about having your name on a burial plot? It's very, very commonly done. What's Mom's problem? Who does she think she can sue? Why? Does she override him? Why are the remaining family members responsible for what the now-deceased father did?

Help me out here.

LdiJ

I get that the daughter might be a minor, but this guy was her father - I'm genuinely puzzled about who thinks they can do what in this situation.

Why is this causing so much angst? What's so bad about having your name on a burial plot? It's very, very commonly done. What's Mom's problem? Who does she think she can sue? Why? Does she override him? Why are the remaining family members responsible for what the now-deceased father did?

Help me out here.
Pro, its not her name on the plot that is causing angst. Her name is on the TOMBSTONE...and not as "beloved father of Jane" but as "Jane" who is eventually going to be buried there.

It would creep me out a bit to have my name on a Tombstone like that and I am a 58 year old adult. I can certainly imagine it creeping out a teenager or young adult. On top of that who is to say that said person would want to be buried next to her father at the end of her lifetime? Her life choices may make that totally inappropriate for her. Heck her name might even end up being different than what is on the tombstone.

All in all, I think that was one wish of dad's that should not have been honored without everyone, and particularly the daughter, being on board with it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Pro, its not her name on the plot that is causing angst. Her name is on the TOMBSTONE...and not as "beloved father of Jane" but as "Jane" who is eventually going to be buried there.

It would creep me out a bit to have my name on a Tombstone like that and I am a 58 year old adult. I can certainly imagine it creeping out a teenager or young adult. On top of that who is to say that said person would want to be buried next to her father at the end of her lifetime? Her life choices may make that totally inappropriate for her. Heck her name might even end up being different than what is on the tombstone.

All in all, I think that was one wish of dad's that should not have been honored without everyone, and particularly the daughter, being on board with it.
I have to agree with this. If the child were already deceased that would be one thing to have dad buried next to her. But to have a living child and put the child's name on the tombstone ... :eek:

FlyingRon

Just because someone puts the instruction like that in his will doesn't mean anybody is obligated to act upon it. Why would the ex-wife even spend the money if this is her attitude?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">