• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calif Freelancer stiffed by Minn prime contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

guyh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

I was a subcontractor engaged to manage a software implementation project in California for the State. Prime contractor is in Minnesota. Contractor ran out of funds, and was not able to staff the project satisfactorily. I had agreed to defer some payment but State has now issued stop work order and lights are out for the Prime. However, he still owes me $30K which I know he does not have, and will likely put up some kind of story of my performance, despite very very good documentation to contrary to try to get out of paying. I can easily demonstrate my performance met requmnts but cannot afford to go round and round for months and years in litigation and fees.

Prime has about $16K in funds reserved by the State for warranty, and he will get that back less their charges(at $495/day may not get back much) and Prime was also required to put up a bond of $800K to cover the contract. Do I have any rights to put a lien against these amounts? What can I do in CA and in MN to ensure at least some payment? Is there any provision in CA State statutues or Federal that can help me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">