• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Community College Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnirnber

I'm a student at a California community college (public school). I'm applying for financial aid, and was asked to submit a form. On the form I checked that my income for 2014 was $0 and was not obligated to file taxes. When I turned it in, they asked me to file another form explaining how I support myself, and to account for all sources of money from family, friends, even if given on an informal and/or irregular basis. Apparently, they do this for everyone. For those who did file taxes in 2014, they're asking students to list each of their employers and put a dollar amount for the annual income that they received from each employer. They also say that not having documentation for unofficial income will be viewed with skepticism when the "board" reviews these cases.

Beyond asking for a copy of a student's tax return, and beyond asking a student to sign an affadavit affirming he or she did not illegaly fail to file a tax return when required, how exactly is the school able to do this without getting into legal trouble? Also, the "board" decisions are final and there's no appeal process, yet they don't publish the criteria they use to deny or reject these later parts of a student's finacial aid application. Whether legal or illegal, this certainly seems arbitrary and capricious and I'd imagine a lawyer could have a lot of fun taking this school to court. I've been to several other colleges, and none of them asked me for such personal types of information.

Clearly, homeless students would fail the board's review process because they'd have a hard time producing documentation.
Undocumented citizens from other countries would have a hard time producing this information, yet they would otherwise be eligible for financial aid (Dream Act).
Listing one's employer could inadvertently reveal one's religion (ex. suppose I work at Saint Mary's Catholic Church). If the people reviewing my case have qualms with Catholicism, that could influence their decision when reviewing my case.
Imagine a female student works at a bikini bar or gentleman's club....that type of information is bound to trigger personal biases people have...and because they keep their approval/rejection criteria secret, one would have no recourse if rejected for arbitrary reasons.

I know this might be a tricky question to answer, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could get back to me.
Thank you so much!

single317dad

I can't imagine any potential creditor not asking for such pertinent information as proof of income and employment.

The second form you were given is standard fare for receiving any sort of needs-based government aid. You cannot live in the modern world on $0 income, so you are required to reveal the assistance you're already receiving from other sources.

quincy

... Clearly, homeless students would fail the board's review process because they'd have a hard time producing documentation ...
Not at all "clearly."

Young homeless men and women have applied for and been accepted into colleges. There is always some sort of documentation available. Financial aid is available to those with the documentation necessary to prove need.

For one example out of many similar, the homeless girl in this story received a full ride scholarship to Harvard (tuition, room and board, assistance finding a job), not because she refused to disclose her background and financial situation but rather because of her disclosures. http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/from-janitor-to-harvard/

Last edited:

rnirnber

I can't imagine any potential creditor not asking for such pertinent information as proof of income and employment.

The second form you were given is standard fare for receiving any sort of needs-based government aid. You cannot live in the modern world on $0 income, so you are required to reveal the assistance you're already receiving from other sources.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I suppose you have a point, creditors can ask this information without getting into legal trouble so it sets a precedent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">