• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can bankruptcy protect a guilty party?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medicfire911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont is the state in questions. I actually reside in CT and currently have a case against the sellers of a house to me. To make a long story short, I/we filed a fraudulent missrepresentation case against them (the sellers) as well as a neglegent case against them. After the sale of the house almost 5 years ago they moved to VT. The house was full of termites and mice and there is a strong case against them including lies in their disclosure and witnesses to the claims. They were also the only owners of the home. The value of the case to settle pre-trial was a request for about $60,000. The issue now is that, even after we have found them to have little to no debt when they moved to VT, they threatened to file for Bankruptcy if we don't leave them alone. We now have documentation proving they have about $1.5 million in savings including some IRAs. They also only about 5 months ago pulled a $211,000 mortgage on the home that they purchased for $180,000 with the $250,000 that I gave them for the house in CT that I bought. My personal injury lawyer here in CT and the Judge who met with us many times for Pre-trial meetings stated that they are worth more than them put together and are the "lowest of the low" for doing what they are doing since they are basically caught by the fraud claim and will "probably get away with it" meaning filing for bankrutcy and getting me off their backs. We're only months away from jury selection on the case and then a few days ago I recieved a letter from the State of VT advizing me of the filing for bankruptcy and they noted me as a creditor. My attorny regretfully informed me that this action basically closes my case and I have to go to VT to try and plea my case which could possibly cost me more money than I am even asking for from them. Is this how easy our justice system is on people who file for bankruptcy? If so, and I decide to chase them to VT, what kind of attorney do I look for and how could the system be sooo flaud that the Victim loses and the dishonest get away with murder and get rid of all their dept even thought they are millionaires?

Last edited:

medicfire911

I appologize for that. I didn't know if each forum was only looked at by attorneys or experts in that specific topic and if the question wasn't in their field, it wouldn't get answered. Since my case covered civil litigation, bankruptcy and also realestate I wasn't sure who was the right legal expertise to go to. I am greatful for your advice and will look for help in VT like you said. I hope I didn't break any rules. I am a newcoming on here and was learning as I went. Now I know and promise not to do it again. I feel a bit like a rookie on my first day at the firehouse. Stupid mistake. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">