• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the criminal who broke into my home and vandalized and plea to the charges sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

energynerd

I am in California (Orange County)...

Can the criminal who broke into my home and vandalized and plead to the charges now is threatening to sue me. He is mad because I put links to the all case info on my personal website along with photos, and other public records (plea agreement, copies of police reports, and hearing transcripts, info about a restraining order I had against him...).

Because for some reason it seems to be limiting his job prospects. :D

I have been real careful to have documentation for everything and where it is just my word clearly note it.

My opinion is if he takes me to court I will have more to blog about and he will come out even less employable. But, is this even realistic. He claims it is harassment to document public data because it make him look bad. :confused:

Aaron

sandyclaus

I am in California (Orange County)...

Can the criminal who broke into my home and vandalized and plead to the charges now is threatening to sue me. He is mad because I put links to the all case info on my personal website along with photos, and other public records (plea agreement, copies of police reports, and hearing transcripts, info about a restraining order I had against him...).

Because for some reason it seems to be limiting his job prospects. :D

I have been real careful to have documentation for everything and where it is just my word clearly note it.

My opinion is if he takes me to court I will have more to blog about and he will come out even less employable. But, is this even realistic. He claims it is harassment to document public data because it make him look bad. :confused:

Aaron
Understand that anyone can sue for anything these days. Will he win? Probably not. All you are doing is making information available that's already available through public records.

I would, however be very careful about any commentary that is not factual and 100% backed up by the documentation. While the absolute truth is a defense to a defamation claim, anything that can't be fully substantiated may end up damaging his reputation (yes, even further than it already is). If he has measurable damages that arise solely from your unsubstantiated allegations, then he might just have a case. Of course, defamation cases are notoriously expensive to litigate. I suspect that his lack of income from meaningful employment could end up curbing his desire to pursue that case. Then there's the issue that the OTHER problems will more than likely be the cause of those damages than anything you could say... :rolleyes:

energynerd

Understand that anyone can sue for anything these days. Will he win? Probably not. All you are doing is making information available that's already available through public records.

I would, however be very careful about any commentary that is not factual and 100% backed up by the documentation. While the absolute truth is a defense to a defamation claim, anything that can't be fully substantiated may end up damaging his reputation (yes, even further than it already is). If he has measurable damages that arise solely from your unsubstantiated allegations, then he might just have a case. Of course, defamation cases are notoriously expensive to litigate. I suspect that his lack of income from meaningful employment could end up curbing his desire to pursue that case. Then there's the issue that the OTHER problems will more than likely be the cause of those damages than anything you could say... :rolleyes:
To add insult to his actions I found out he is trying to play revisionist history. He got his conviction expunged. So, he wants my stuff removed so he can play it never happened.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To add insult to his actions I found out he is trying to play revisionist history. He got his conviction expunged. So, he wants my stuff removed so he can play it never happened.
There are various ways in which an expungement is handled and that would affect the "safety" of your statements. I would ask exactly what he plead to, but I don't want you to post that information. You may wish to confer with an attorney.

energynerd

Fear

So you belive it's a good idea to anger a criminal who knows where you live?
The only thing that has kept him in line from doing more harm has been fear of me exposing more of his lies. Him and his lawyers have complained about the website during the restitution hearings, the restraining order hearings. Because the website and my home security cameras (added after his arrest) seems to be the only things that keeps him inline. But, since he wants to bury his crimes and lies he wants the website to go away.

My opinion is I really don't want to pull the site down until he moves FAR away.

Just Blue

The only thing that has kept him in line from doing more harm has been fear of me exposing more of his lies. Him and his lawyers have complained about the website during the restitution hearings, the restraining order hearings. Because the website and my home security cameras (added after his arrest) seems to be the only things that keeps him inline. But, since he wants to bury his crimes and lies he wants the website to go away.

My opinion is I really don't want to pull the site down until he moves FAR away.
Is the criminal someone you know? :confused:

quincy

... My opinion is I really don't want to pull the site down until he moves FAR away.
If your goal is to have this fellow move far away, isn't your website frustrating this goal by making him unable to find a job that can facilitate this move?

I personally think that, from what you have posted here, you are on shaky legal ground with the publications on your website. I advise that you have an attorney review your website contents to see what is safe to publish and what can potentially support a suit against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">