• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I file motion to vacate default judgement if it was denied?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vash

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have a default judgement against me back in 2001. I hired a lawyer to file a motion to vacate the judgement but he didn't argue the motion correctly and I lost the motion.

The question is:

1. Since the person who ruled on the motion is a commissioner, can I re-file the motion again and ask to be reviewed by a real judge?

2. Since my lawyer didn't fully present my case to the court, with lots of omitted facts; I have other facts that can prove that I didn't know about the default judgement until recently, can I hire another attorney and re-file for the motion to vacate the judgement?

Shay-Pari'e

vash said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have a default judgement against me back in 2001. I hired a lawyer to file a motion to vacate the judgement but he didn't argue the motion correctly and I lost the motion.

The question is:

1. Since the person who ruled on the motion is a commissioner, can I re-file the motion again and ask to be reviewed by a real judge?

2. Since my lawyer didn't fully present my case to the court, with lots of omitted facts; I have other facts that can prove that I didn't know about the default judgement until recently, can I hire another attorney and re-file for the motion to vacate the judgement?

The commissioner was the judge that day. Do you recall signing a stipulation allowing this?

V

vash

--PARIDISE-- said:
The commissioner was the judge that day. Do you recall signing a stipulation allowing this?
To tell you the truth, I don't know. My lawyer called the court to get a hearing and I was there on the day of hearing. My lawyer won't let me tell the commissioner the time and dates I learned of the default judgement; he wanted to do all the talking, eventhough some of things he said was wrong. Now that I lost the motion, I am wondering if I have a 2nd chance to get another lawywer to argue it correctly this time. The facts have not been changed but I just want the new laywer to present all the evidence to the hearing. What do I do in this case? Do you think the commissioner would hear the argument the 2nd time around? Do I have a chance to get a real judge hear this case now that I lost the motion?

Shay-Pari'e

vash said:
To tell you the truth, I don't know. My lawyer called the court to get a hearing and I was there on the day of hearing. My lawyer won't let me tell the commissioner the time and dates I learned of the default judgement; he wanted to do all the talking, eventhough some of things he said was wrong. Now that I lost the motion, I am wondering if I have a 2nd chance to get another lawywer to argue it correctly this time. The facts have not been changed but I just want the new laywer to present all the evidence to the hearing. What do I do in this case? Do you think the commissioner would hear the argument the 2nd time around? Do I have a chance to get a real judge hear this case now that I lost the motion?

Please get a consultation from another attorney to go over all this and help you decide if it is worth the effort and money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">