• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be held liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelley Tews

Denton, Texas

I have a very small cleaning business. I handle the 'make ready' cleans for a large Property Management Company. Recently I received a job for a clean with the only notation added "key must be picked up at office". No other information. I sent a cleaner out to complete the job and inside the apartment were a few belongings, mostly in trash bags. The cleaner removed the items that evening and I received notification of it the next morning. Now the tenant is claiming the belongings were worth $1500. He and his guarantor for the apartment want someone to compensate for the loss. I have contacted the Property Management I am employed with and they are claiming no responsibility. My question is this: Can the tenant file a claim for the lost items and possibly sue me for $1500 without having any proof of the value of the items? All they presented me with was a list of the items and the cost of each item. These prices were greatly increased, stating there was $100 worth of food when in actuality only some Ramen noodles, worth about $15. What are my options?

quincy

Denton, Texas

I have a very small cleaning business. I handle the 'make ready' cleans for a large Property Management Company. Recently I received a job for a clean with the only notation added "key must be picked up at office". No other information. I sent a cleaner out to complete the job and inside the apartment were a few belongings, mostly in trash bags. The cleaner removed the items that evening and I received notification of it the next morning. Now the tenant is claiming the belongings were worth $1500. He and his guarantor for the apartment want someone to compensate for the loss. I have contacted the Property Management I am employed with and they are claiming no responsibility. My question is this: Can the tenant file a claim for the lost items and possibly sue me for $1500 without having any proof of the value of the items? All they presented me with was a list of the items and the cost of each item. These prices were greatly increased, stating there was $100 worth of food when in actuality only some Ramen noodles, worth about $15. What are my options?
The Property Management Company would be liable for any losses suffered by the tenant, whether the management company cleaned out the apartment of the belongings of the tenant or hired someone to do it for them.

That said, yes, you can be sued. Nothing prevents the tenant from seeking damages from any or all involved in the apartment clean-out. In other words, the tenant can name both you and the management company in any lawsuit that is filed.

If you are sued, I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area for a review of the contract you have with the management company.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">