• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I pay someone to review my complaint before I file it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
While I appreciate your concern, I can read and understand the law so my case as merit. This is not a complicated thing I'm dealing with and you do lack many details. What I don't appreciate is your insinuation that I'm that ignorant and that I will fail. You can't possibly know that and it is a speculation on your part. Further you don't know me or how smart or dumb I really am. I will guarantee you that if I went to law school, I would excel. I would pass the bar the first time. Do you know why this is true? Because everything thing that I've ever applied myself in and tried at, I have succeeded. That is not to say that it would not be hard work because it certainly would be. But I would do it because that is what I do.

I don't want to be a lawyer. I want to be treated with respect and fairly in my business dealings. This company violated Federal Statues and owes me over $1000. That is not a lot of money but it is the principle of the matter combined with the fact that they know they continue to break the law. They lost a Motion for Summary Judgement on the very same issue, they know.

Q4P.

*rapturous applause*

That was ... so emotional. I almost needed a moment.

Perhaps you need to understand it before you snidely ask if we've heard of it :rolleyes:
I'm quite certain I understand it Zigner. If you don't think it applies to me, then I await your response as to how it does not.

I think I see a double standard in play here. Attorneys can talk down to common, ignorant, non attorney folks like me but I'll be damned if I return the favor? I apologize for being snide. I'm angry but I'm above that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm quite certain I understand it Zigner. If you don't think it applies to me, then I await your response as to how it does not.

I think I see a double standard in play here. Attorneys can talk down to common, ignorant, non attorney folks like me but I'll be damned if I return the favor? I apologize for being snide. I'm angry but I'm above that.
What attorneys?

Eekamouse

You brag about how smart you are but you weren't smart enough to read the TOS before posting here.

justalayman

I'll rephrase it to say that the law firm that sent me a class action retention agreement is 1000% confident that this company has violated. That actually makes me a zillion percent confident.
You can overfill a glass by 1000% but you can only be 100% certain of anything or give 100% effort.

quincy

Attorneys generally do not "talk down" to non-attorney folks. Attorneys might get frustrated by non-attorney folks, however. ;)

If you believe you have a case with merit, you can on your own send your demand letter and you can file a complaint. Unfortunately, doing this on your own - especially against a large company - is not going to be easy and it can get costly. You will probably find yourself up against a legal team that knows what it is doing and you could find yourself expending more time, more energy and even more money than you would have if you hired an attorney to handle the matter at the start.

The benefits of a class action suit for many plaintiffs (named or unnamed) is that the case is handled for them by experienced attorneys. The plaintiffs might not walk away with as much dollar-wise as they could potentially walk away with in a personal lawsuit, but they also avoid having to learn the law.

Your choice.

justalayman

And all this for $1000?

I don't want to be a lawyer. I want to be treated with respect and fairly in my business dealings. This company violated Federal Statues and owes me over $1000. That is not a lot of money but it is the principle of the matter combined with the fact that they know they continue to break the law. They lost a Motion for Summary Judgement on the very same issue, they know.

Attorneys generally do not "talk down" to non-attorney folks. Attorneys might get frustrated by non-attorney folks, however. ;)

If you believe you have a case with merit, you can on your own send your demand letter and you can file a complaint. Unfortunately, doing this on your own - especially against a large company - is not going to be easy and it can get costly. You will probably find yourself up against a legal team that knows what it is doing and you could find yourself expending more time, more energy and even more money than you would have if you hired an attorney to handle the matter at the start.

The benefits of a class action suit for many plaintiffs (named or unnamed) is that the case is handled for them by experienced attorneys. The plaintiffs might not walk away with as much dollar-wise as they could potentially walk away with in a personal lawsuit, but they also avoid having to learn the law.

Your choice.
You are a good man Quincy even though you frustrate me sometimes with you answers. ;) I contacted another attorney this morning. Hopefully I will find someone willing to take it. I will continue to keep searching because it would make my life a heck of a lot easier.

I did read about a class action suit against a debt collection agency that was also filing to have any related individual suits filed after grouped into the class action and it worked for them. So that was my concern and hopefully explains what I wrote earlier.

Oh and thanks for answering my question about the demand letter. I'm sending it and I'm sure they will just laugh at me and not take me seriously but it is worth a shot.

Zigner

You're not going to get an attorney to take your case at no charge for you if it's only worth $1,000. As I recall, you stated that you didn't want to take part in a class action suit.

Sue in small claims court and be done with it...or don't...Your choice.

quincy

You are a good man Quincy even though you frustrate me sometimes with you answers. ;) I contacted another attorney this morning. Hopefully I will find someone willing to take it. I will continue to keep searching because it would make my life a heck of a lot easier.

I did read about a class action suit against a debt collection agency that was also filing to have any related individual suits filed after grouped into the class action and it worked for them. So that was my concern and hopefully explains what I wrote earlier.

Oh and thanks for answering my question about the demand letter. I'm sending it and I'm sure they will just laugh at me and not take me seriously but it is worth a shot.
The demand letter can be more effective if sent by an attorney but I understand the problems in suggesting this. :)

I hope you can recover the $1000 you believe the company owes you. Good luck.

You're not going to get an attorney to take your case at no charge for you if it's only worth $1,000. As I recall, you stated that you didn't want to take part in a class action suit.

Sue in small claims court and be done with it...or don't...Your choice.
Homeowner's Protection Act violations are worth $2000 in statutory damages plus costs and attorneys fees. RESPA violations are worth $2000 statutory and more if a pattern of practice can be established plus actual, plus punitive. The later is off the top of my head so if I'm wrong about that, please don't hold it against me. What is less understood is the breach of contract and negligence charges and how they might fit in with my case if they're not preempted. And I'm pretty sure through the discovery process we will discover TCPA violations and potentially FDCPA violations.

Zigner

Homeowner's Protection Act violations are worth $2000 in statutory damages plus costs and attorneys fees. RESPA violations are worth $2000 statutory and more if a pattern of practice can be established plus actual, plus punitive. The later is off the top of my head so if I'm wrong about that, please don't hold it against me. What is less understood is the breach of contract and negligence charges and how they might fit in with my case if they're not preempted. And I'm pretty sure through the discovery process we will discover TCPA violations and potentially FDCPA violations.
You really don't even understand what discovery is, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">