• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I restore a default judgement that was set aside?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dasher

CA

If I bring about a motion to restore default judgement, will either of these be sufficient grounds? And if so, how do I quote the legal basis to the judge at the motion?
1. the defendants did not pay interest as ordered
2. the defendants did not file a defense on time

BACKGROUND
- I am the plaintiff in this case.
- There was a default judgement against the defendants (there are two of them) because they never bothered to file a defense.
- After I discovered the employer of one of them and started a garnishment of wages, one of the defendant filed a motion to set aside the default judgement.
- It was granted on the condition the defendant pay the court the amount of the judgement plus interest which will be held by the court pending outcome of a trial.
- The defendants had until a certain date to pay and file a defense.
- The defense paid the principle but not the interest on time.
- They attempted to file a defendant's claim, apparently on time, but it was rejected by the court clerk because *both* of them had to file separate defense papers.
- Both defendants refiled a defense at the same time almost a month after the expiry.

Thanks in advance.

S

seniorjudge

If the judgment was set aside conditionally (and that is a pretty strange maneuver for a court) and the defendants did not comply with the written order of the court, then you need to file a motion to reinstate the previous judgment and explain why in the motion.

A clear and simple explanation of what happened sent to all parties should suffice.

And also request a hearing on your motion then follow up on that request.

If you don't move on it and keep on top of it, then you lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">