• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I send the summons myself via reg/cert mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meddjay

I live in Arizona but this is a civil case out of Federal Court. I have read the rules of civil procedure but I am still a little unclear on the summons process.

I am representing myself, can I send the summons via registered or certified mail, with a return reciept (Green card with signature) to be mailed back to me, to use as proof for the court that I served the summons? Or does someone else have to actually go to the post office to mail the cert/reg mail summons to the defendant? The person I am suing is in a different state and works for a government agency. My next question is: from what I have interpreted from the rules, do I have to send a summons to the District Attorney for my district AND one to The Attorney General in Washington DC since they in essance act as lawyers for the government? And the last question: when I do send summons, do I just send a copy of the summons that was made out and sent to the defendant, or do I have to make a complete new summons with THEIR (district attorney and attorney general) names on the summons because they are being summoned? That is the part that really confused me. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">