• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I subpoena a police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njfhmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. An adult complainant and her minor daughter filed a harassment report against my minor daughter. The police investigation concluded there was no harassment. I have the initial complaint which is only about a paragraph long. Can I subpoena to get the supporting documents. By this I mean the paperwork with the specific accusations against my daughter. There were three other minors accused and it is my understanding their names would be redacted. Thank You

CdwJava

A subpoena requires a court action. If someone goes to court as a result of this report, then the report should be contained as part of the discovery. If nothing comes of it, however, then you can request it under your state's Open Public Records Act:

http://www.nj.gov/grc/act.html

Of course, there is no guarantee that they will agree to release it, the police agency may claim an exception to the release and then you'd be forced to go to court if you wanted to try and obtain a copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">