• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue the cable company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yvelazquez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
can i sue the cable company for allowing someone to put cable under my nine year olds name? and can i charge the person with fraud?

justalayman

yvelazquez;2863707]What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
can i sue the cable company for allowing someone to put cable under my nine year olds name?
unless the cable company was aware, or had reason to be aware of the situation, while you could sue them, you would not win/

and can i charge the person with fraud?
you can report the suspected crime to the police and if the prosecutor sees fraud, then they can charge the person.

sandyclaus

apparantly an ex girlfriend of his father put the cable on my sons name he is nine yrs old and the cable company did not verify it and she still has it on
report it to the cable company and the police.
x2.

Unfortunately, they only check the SS# and information to see if it's valid and whether or not there is any reason not to extend credit to the holder. They don't verify birthdates or whether or not the customer is old enough to enter into a contract.

I would most definitely report the fraudulent use of your son's personal information to the cable company and have them disconnect the service under that account IMMEDIATELY. And contact the police and report the fraud.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT - if the ex-g/f has used your son's info to connect cable, you might want to check what else they have used it for (such as other utility services, other credit accounts, etc.) It would be a good idea to contact the credit bureaus to report the identity theft as well and place a FLAG on his credit report to prevent further use and help you identify other places where it may already have been used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">