• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the mechanic who botched a car repair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelly Colwell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

I took my 2002 Dodge Intrepid to the mechanic to replace the water pump. The timing chain needs to be removed to do this job. After the job was done, the mechanic started the car. I told him something was wrong, the car was shaking a bit, and click was coming from under the hood. He informed me that the noise would go away. I asked him a second time, because me engine always purrs, he assured me it was the lifters, and the symptom would go away. Within 30 minutes my car was dead on the side of the road.

The mechanic towed it back in, and informed me that my timing chain had broken. It would cost $1600.00 to fix it. The next day he told me that the chain had bent all my valves and it was not worth repairing, offered to sell me his wife's car. I left and started doing research. The dodge mechanic told me that the clicking and shaking was actually an improperly installed timing belt. It was slapping around in there, and finally broke.

I went to speak to the mechanic, who owns the shop by the way...to ask to work something out to make me whole, he said he didn't do the repair so wouldn't think of giving me any money back. I told him it was his shop, he was responsible for any repairs done there. He suggested, that I take him to court.

I hope that's not too much info. I've read some of the other replies, and didn't want to get wordy. Which I probably did. It's just that I've never had the misfortune of being in a court for any reason, except jury duty. Can I sue him for the blue book value of my car and the repairs in civil court, or would it be small claims court?

Any help you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time,

Kelly

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy in small claims court for the cost to repair the damages that his shop caused (up to a maximum of the value of the vehicle)

justalayman

He suggested, that I take him to court.
it was nice of him to suggest the proper action. I would have simply said, Thanks, I believe I will follow your suggestion.

I do not know what licensing is required in Illinois (or more local area this is in even) but I would surely check into that. If he or the mechanic that did the work do not have the proper licensing, it generally makes your job easier.

There may also be a state office you can report this to that might at least slap his hands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">