• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my city?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turkcarbuncle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

The city i live in mandated all homes to have new electronic water meters installed. 2 days after the new one was installed the pipe it was connected to leaked and flooded my finished basement. The city's contractor came out and "fixed" it. a week later the thing leaked again and flooded my basement. Again they came out and fixed it. Two weeks later the original part they replaced leaked again (their guy cracked it when he installed it) and they returned again to fix the third leak. This time mold formed all over my basement and I asked the city to deal with it. They told me they couldn't/wouldn't do anything and to call my insurance co. I put in a claim and although it was covered I am out my deductable, mold is now a disclosable thing should I sell my house and I will now lose the "no claim" discount on my home owners policy.

Is there anything I can do to recover my deductable, loss of home value, loss of discount and I my office is located in my basement and work has suffered do to mold mitigation and rebuilding of basement?

Thanks for any response.
Turk

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/turk-439989.html

Dandy Don

You filed a claim with who?

Did you try resolving this matter with the contractor specifically or did you just complain to the city?

Yes, you might have the option of suing the city but there is a special procedure for doing so and it might be expensive for you in legal fees.

turkcarbuncle

I filed a claim with my home owners carrier and they are covering it. I have only dealt with the public works manager at the city. I have not spoken the contractor hired by the city to install the meters and fix any "problems" that come up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">