• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my ex for freeloading?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

walll

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My ex is a master con artist, liar and minipulator. Aparently I was not the first woman to get taken to the cleaners by him and have since found out that he does not just prey on women but cheats, steals and sponges off everybody he comes in contact with. With promises, stories and emotional manipulation he managed to con me into supporting him FULLY for 5 months till I finally booted him out. It cost me about 5 grand before it was over. I have a promissary note for $5000 from a accident settlement (which was why I allowed it) but after finally getting the strait story from his lawyer I found it will only be about $800.

My Question is: What can I do to try and reclaim at least some of the monies he owes me from rent, food, his cell phone bills...he has put me so far in debt with his lies and promises that I am loosing everything!

HomeGuru

walll said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
My ex is a master con artist, liar and minipulator. Aparently I was not the first woman to get taken to the cleaners by him and have since found out that he does not just prey on women but cheats, steals and sponges off everybody he comes in contact with. With promises, stories and emotional manipulation he managed to con me into supporting him FULLY for 5 months till I finally booted him out. It cost me about 5 grand before it was over. I have a promissary note for $5000 from a accident settlement (which was why I allowed it) but after finally getting the strait story from his lawyer I found it will only be about $800.

My Question is: What can I do to try and reclaim at least some of the monies he owes me from rent, food, his cell phone bills...he has put me so far in debt with his lies and promises that I am loosing everything!

**A: C'mon now. You're not losing everything. You still got your place, your job, your intelligence and your self-esteem. Forget about this loser and move on.
And what is a strait story anyway? Is it about water?

stephenk

you have no legal recourse against the ex. all the money you paid was voluntary and without any expectation that he was going to repay you for the money you spent.

W

walll

Even though I have Promissary Notes, Receipts and Witnesses?

stephenk

so now you add more facts to the story.

what promissory notes? receipts for what? what do these "witnesses" know?

W

walll

As WAS mentioned above, I have a $5000 promissary note, receipts for cell phone bills, witnesses who will testify to our agreement, his past treachory (other people he did this too) etc.. all I wanted to know is if I wanted to persue this which court would it be in - small claims, criminal...

stephenk

call your local court and find out what the small claims limit is. If less than $5,000, you would need to file in the next larger jurisdiction court.

It is not a criminal matter but a civil matter. Even if you win, do you think he will pay you anything?

When you say ex are you talking about a husband or boyfriend? If hubby, you would need to go through family law court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">