• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can lawyer threaten me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgmkitty

What is the name of your state? California

I was subpoenaed to appear in an arbitration office, when I went I was told the arbitration was postponed. I called the lawyer's office that subpoenaed me (very angry as it was difficult for me to get off work), and the lawyer (reacting to my anger and swearing I assume) started to threaten sending sherriff's to me to force me to co-operate. I said from the beginning when he first contacted me 6 months ago that I will co-operate by appearing where I am forced, but that I don't know anything. It seemed he was only threatening me when I swore at him and told him how angry I was, but can he really do anything to me? He has no reason to send sherriff's to me right? I did nothing wrong! Please help. Thanks.

HomeGuru

mgmkitty said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was subpoenaed to appear in an arbitration office, when I went I was told the arbitration was postponed. I called the lawyer's office that subpoenaed me (very angry as it was difficult for me to get off work), and the lawyer (reacting to my anger and swearing I assume) started to threaten sending sherriff's to me to force me to co-operate. I said from the beginning when he first contacted me 6 months ago that I will co-operate by appearing where I am forced, but that I don't know anything. It seemed he was only threatening me when I swore at him and told him how angry I was, but can he really do anything to me? He has no reason to send sherriff's to me right? I did nothing wrong! Please help. Thanks.

**A: your kidding right?

mgmkitty

No I'm not kidding! I don't appreciate the rude comments. I asked this question because I don't know the law when it comes to matters like this. I don't deserve the condescending attitude.

C

CheeseBlotto

No, they can't send the sheriff (hint: the sheriff hates lawyers even more than you do).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">