• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex sue me for payments based on word of mouth in Washington?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thehungrymormon

Washington State.

My ex is demanding payments from 4 years ago from when we lived together.

She claims that I did not pay rent (I have no idea why) but has no evidence to back her claim.

My ex and I split the $600 rent and since the rent was paid under the table in cash, the agency cannot prove how much of the rent was paid by who.

She claims that her notebook states that I did not pay rent, when in fact the reality is that she failed to write down what I already paid.

So in other words, the entire ordeal was based on word of mouth rather than any written documentation that discusses my "debt" to her.

My logical understanding is that without any sort of evidence, she cannot sue me for money but I'm worried if there is anything she can do legally against me.

Thank you.

My logical understanding is that without any sort of evidence, she cannot sue me for money but I'm worried if there is anything she can do legally against me.
Yes, she can sue you. Basically, anyone can sue anyone for almost anything. But it would simply be her word against your word. Her word might carry more weight if she can show that she kept accurate records at the time and if she can show that she could not have changed those records after the fact.

thehungrymormon

Yes, she can sue you. Basically, anyone can sue anyone for almost anything. But it would simply be her word against your word. Her word might carry more weight if she can show that she kept accurate records at the time and if she can show that she could not have changed those records after the fact.
What if I can prove that her records are inaccurate? I've already caught her via emails conflicting records regarding her claim.

justalayman

A very quick look into this shows the statute of limitations on an oral contract is 3 years. If true while she could sue the presentation of a sol defense should allow for it to be dismissed.

To the records issue; it would be up to the court to determine if your showing of inconsistencies is enough to show her records are not dependable.

thehungrymormon

A very quick look into this shows the statute of limitations on an oral contract is 3 years. If true while she could sue the presentation of a sol defense should allow for it to be dismissed.

To the records issue; it would be up to the court to determine if your showing of inconsistencies is enough to show her records are not dependable.
The only records that she is holding onto is a notebook where she kept note of the "debt" I am to pay her. In all honesty, is this considered good enough documentation? Couldn't anyone just write anything down and claim it as fact?

And another thing I left out was that this took place in Japan...if that helps at all.

Last edited:

quincy

... And another thing I left out was that this took place in Japan...if that helps at all.
If you both live now in Washington, the fact that the debt is claimed to have arisen in Japan makes no difference.

Use the statute of limitations as a defense if you are sued, as has already been suggested by justalayman.

Refer back to Mark Maroon's response for the answer to your documentation question. He already addressed this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">