• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can S Corp be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glengrey

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? AZ I have an S Corporation, myself president, my wife Vice President. It is set up for tax purposes, but it also runs my business. The property in a shopping center is leased by a large corporation, I am an agent for that Corporation. I pay them a very small amount of yearly rent. According to my contract with them I am responsilble for anything inside the (store) and the sidewalk out front. A person said she slipped on soapy water and broke her leg (in the parking lot) as she was approaching the (store). I was mopping the floor but not with soap. It had rained the day before and the parkinlg lot was still wet. She hired a lawyer and he in turn wrote the major corporation stating that they would contact them with a settlement offer. The major Corp in turn sent it to me and said I was liable. Question, do you think I am liable? Is the landlord (property owner) liable, or is the Major corp liable. If it comes down to me or my corp being sued, can she do it. The S corp consists of 12 stocks of $100 each, there are no assets except small checking account.???

Last edited:

Alias_joe

S or not anyone can be sued. A corporation is nothing more than a legal fiction. She will probably sue you as the agent.

Rained? Can you prove it?
Get a weather report
Affirmative defense- act of God

Not used soapy water?
Can you prove it?
Affirmative defense- clear water because - - - - - - - - -

Make them prove soapy water if that is part of their complaint.

Settle?
Sure, call your insurance agent.

No insurance?
Don't get in business!

So much for the really good deal you have in leasing, huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">