• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a school drop me and then deny re-enrollment due to me having emergency surgery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desperate@43

Providence, RI
In July I had emergency surgery. I almost died .As a result, I had to take time off from school. At the time I had a "A" average on all my test. My attendance was above 80%. I received a letter from my school stating, " We have reviewed your application for re-enrollment. After careful review of your application and admission documents and communication with the school management team, we regret to inform you that your request for re-enrollment has been denied." Wow this school gets over $18,000 of which I'm still on the hook for. At no point have I been given the opportunity to finish my education that I now have to pay in student loans, I was drop because of time missed while recovering from surgery (I understand that it is policy to be dropped after a certain number of days missed in a row ), but I was not dropped because of discipline or academic reasons. I had only 280 hours (less than 3 months) out of a 1500 hour course until I graduated. I don't understand why I don't have the opportunity to complete my education. Is it because I am 43 and live in a military homeless shelter? I chose to initially enroll in this school because it is the best cosmetology schools in the country and take pride making a difference and helping others, and who are committed to helping you succeed as a cosmetologist. Unfortunately all they have done is helped me become even more destitute.

Today my husband and I had a meeting with the director of the school to find out why I was denied re-enrollment. The Director informed us that the school has the right to deny re-enrollment, and that I was just not a good fit for the school. She stated that I owed over $4000 that was not applied to my student loan and that if I signed the contract that she had handed me, The $4000 would be waved, which "we don't usually do this". Just glancing at the paperwork I saw that by signing it would absolved the school from all claims.

This is a very prominent school. Very well known. Has over 100 schools through out the united states. I did not sign the disclosure contract because I knew it was unethical and admission of guilt on their part. It was offered to silent my claims.

jimnyc

I was drop because of time missed while recovering from surgery (I understand that it is policy to be dropped after a certain number of days missed in a row ), but I was not dropped because of discipline or academic reasons.

Is it because I am 43 and live in a military homeless shelter?
Why in the world would you think it had anything to do with age or living circumstances? You even stated yourself just a few sentences prior as to why you were denied re-enrollment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">