• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she do that or is she exaggerating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Big_Pete

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I didn't complete training at Navy OCS after a medical issue was detected, so I ended up receiving honorable discharge in December 2007.

I left there on good terms at first with my class Chief Petty Officer. It was good enough that when I called her the next month (January 2008) to request her as a job reference, I could hear a warm and enthusiastic tone in her voice.

Then the next month on February 2008, I somewhat pulled a prank by posing as a relative of myself on an online military social network called Together We Served (TWS) and saying that I have fallen. Well each new member can browse around for free the first month but has to pay after that, so I would add pseudonyms to take advantage of free browsing. Another reason for this was I felt the "military me" have died on the day I got discharged.

I called Chief last month (December 2008) to request her as a job reference again. When her office answer machine picked up, I left a voicemail message saying "Hello my dear Chief. I thought I'd call to check if you wouldn't mind bein a job reference again." The recording quoted her cell phone number if it's an emergency, so I called her on that the next day.
Her: Chief C.
Me: Hi Chief. It's Joe A. How you doin'?
Her: Hi. How are you?
Me: Not bad. Just finished first semester of grad school.
Her: Good.
Me: Say I assume you got my message yesterday?
Her: About that, not after what you posted on Facebook.
Me: You have access to my Facebook profile?
Her: Oh I meant the Together We Served website. You were posing on there with pseudonyms as sister and brother of yourself and that you have fallen.
Me: It was a prank.
Her: Then that was a ****ty prank. You had a rough road back then in training, and you still had a rough road after that. Didn't you?
Me: (Pause) Yeah
Her: Yeah. I'm getting concerned about you. I'm uncomfortable recommending you. Don't talk to me again. (Hung up)

I was feeling so guilty since then that I finally text messaged her on January 10, 2009 and traded a reply or two.
Me: Hello Chief. I know I must be the last person you want to talk to or hear from, but I just want to say so sorry for the TWS incident.
Her: T w s?
Me: Together We Served. If theres any1 else I owe apologies or explanations to, please let me know. Again, deeply sorry.
Her: I have asked you once and i'm telling you again. Please do not ever contact me by any means ever again. If it continues i will press charges.

Can she really do that or is she exaggerating? If so, what other charges can she press for besides assumingly harrassment and stalking? If it does happen, how easily can she win? Where would I be tried since I live in MD and she's stationed/living in RI, or is it up to her?

Rexlan

You'll be little Pete if you keep it up ... you were told to leave her alone and have admitted that on a public forum. If you're in grad school you should know the full meaning of that.

Maybe you need some counseling.

JETX

"If it continues i will press charges."

Can she really do that or is she exaggerating? If so, what other charges can she press for besides assumingly harrassment and stalking? If it does happen, how easily can she win? Where would I be tried since I live in MD and she's stationed/living in RI, or is it up to her?
No one can even GUESS what charges she might make (if any), or where, or what might come of them.
However, your answer is really simple. CEASE ALL FURTHER contact with her. She made that pretty clear.
If there is any ordeal in your future for this, is ENTIRELY up to you.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
She made it clear she would pursue legal recourse if you continue to contact her. Your question indicates you do intend to contact her again. That, in addition to your lies about your death in a pathetic bid for sympathetic attention, indicate a pretty serious lack of good judgement or decision-making skills. Instead of trying to figure out a future defense, you'd be much smarter to drop it, forget her, and move on.

Big_Pete

I know it sounds like I'm thinking about contacting her again, but I meant what if theoretically we cross paths as coworkers or client of the other. I already got the message to not cross the line and not even get close to it. I'm just wondering can she press charges even for business-related contact if she wanted to?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I know it sounds like I'm thinking about contacting her again, but I meant what if theoretically we cross paths as coworkers or client of the other. I already got the message to not cross the line and not even get close to it. I'm just wondering can she press charges even for business-related contact if she wanted to?
Are you dense?

Read the prior responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">