• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can U sue for HIPAA violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mynm156

Can an employer be sued for HIPAA violations.

I Live in Maricopa County Arizona. My situation is this. The State revoked my professional license and I was forced to quit my job . The reason why my license was revoked was partially an error by my employer. While awaiting my appeal for my license I filed for unemployment. My former employer is a Hospital and I have used thier services for myself and family as needed.

I was called by the unemployment office and my case worker (Amy) asked me if my reason for quitting was health related. At which time I said no. She then asked me a couple of detailed medical questions regarding a hospital visit I made. She then informed me that my former employer had appealed my claim and said I quit for medical reasons. Amy was looking at my file as we spoke and they had provided her with copies of my medical records from visits to the hospital.

My question is that regardless of whom it was sent too and for what it was sent for. Was not that a violation of my privacy and the HIPAA laws? My former employer used thier position as a Hospital to access my medical records. They then attempted to use that information as a defence against my unemploment claim.

What do you think.
Thanks
MYNM156

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">