• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can We sue or Be Sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmayers7362

What is the name of your state? NC

My fiancee and I are living together. She has a couple of legal issues as follows that we need advise on..
1. Her sister had a trailer that was their mother's before she passed. The trailer and lot rent was in the sister's name. My fiancee paid the lot rent as long as she lived there and had an oral contract to pay the lot rent. She moved out over a year ago and has continued to pay on it out of good faith. She has asked her sister repeatedly to sell the trailer, move it, or demolish it, as she was not going to pay the lot rent any longer. Her sister has always refused. As of this month, My fiancee and I are not paying the lot rent that is in the sister's name and the sister is threatening to sue us.. does she have any right to sue?

2. My fiancee's cousin and her were going to move in together last year at the above said trailer. Then the pipes busted in the trailer for whatever reason. My fiancee's sister claims negligence on my fiancee. The cousin then went and got an apartment, and agreed out of the goodness of her heart to pay 1/2 of the lot rent and also 1/2 of the apartment rent and let my fiancee move in with her since the trailer was not liveable. After 6 months of paying 1/2 of this lot rent, the cousin is now wanting her $600.00 back and is threatening to sue my fiancee for it. Can she do this? My fiancee did not make her pay it and the trailer and lot rent was not even in my fiancee's name.

3. My fiancee's car was in her sister's name. When my fiancee said she was no longer going to pay for the lot rent, the sister came to our apartment and took the car out of the parking lot with over $2,000 of our personal belongings in it. She refuses to return the personal belongings. Can we sue her for the amount of our personal belongings or does posession of the property play into this?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

"...Can anything be done about above situations?..."
In this same thread, cut this question in half, leave out all the editorial comments, and ask three questions.

If you do not want to do that, then your answer is that anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time. Whether the suit is successful or not is a 50-50 chance.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
If you do not want to do that, then your answer is that anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time. Whether the suit is successful or not is a 50-50 chance.

**A: and in some cases, the odds differ from 50-50.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">