• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue a sibling over a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacatone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My mother set up a living trust to divest her estate 50/50 between me and my brother. The problem is my brother and sister in law keep coursing her to give them large amounts of money while she's still alive. My fear is, they'll be nothing left when she dies. Can I both sue him to stop getting money from her and later get my full 50%. My mom is 87 and easily persuaded to comply with things that not in her best interest. Thanks.

justalayman

You don't have an inheritance until your mother dies. If she spends every penny before that time, well, you still don't have an inheritance. Unless your siblings are committing what is called "elder abuse" which is taking advantage of the elderly through coercion or by taking advantage of some mental deficiency, there is nothing for you to do to stop them.

Rexlan

What you are really saying is that it is not in your best interest for your mother to give $$ to you brother because YOU may not get enough.

Your mother's best interest has nothing to do with your stated concerns ... pitiful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My mother set up a living trust to divest her estate 50/50 between me and my brother. The problem is my brother and sister in law keep coursing her to give them large amounts of money while she's still alive. My fear is, they'll be nothing left when she dies. Can I both sue him to stop getting money from her and later get my full 50%. My mom is 87 and easily persuaded to comply with things that not in her best interest. Thanks.
You DO realize that mom is still warm...and breathing even!

IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY!

Rexlan

RIGHT!

Damn, come on .... dear mom is going tU? You will help her out and through the hard time though right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">