• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership wants their car back....HELP!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdquince

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I traded in my car at this dealership and they inspected the car twice. They made me an offer and we both agreed and signed paperwork on it. They had the car for 4 days before contacting me and telling me to bring the new car back or they were going to repo it. They claim the car had structural damage done on the inside of the car that they didn't notice at first. I had a custom sound system in the car and they knew it. They knew I was taking it out and they actually said they wanted to car back with the factory radio.

They claim that the package tray or back deck where the 6x9's are was cut out and the support of the car is no longer there. I never told the car stereo shop to cut anything but my point is they inspected that car twice and had it for 4 days. They admitted to never looking inside the car so why is that my fault??

I inspected their vehicle and drove it before I signed anything and I'm just wondering if I can't have a car for 4 days and then see something and return it then why should they be able to repo mine?

OHRoadwarrior

What does your contract say regarding it? Generally, when a dealer accepts a defective vehicle, they eat it. On the other hand, they may be sitting on your financing.

Last edited:

mdquince

What does your contract say regarding it? Generally, when a dealer accepts a defective vehicle, they eat it. On the other hand, they may be sitting on your financing. There is nothing on the contract period. Matter of fact they had me sign something that say's "Nothing owed" "Nothing promised".

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I traded in my car at this dealership and they inspected the car twice. They made me an offer and we both agreed and signed paperwork on it. They had the car for 4 days before contacting me and telling me to bring the new car back or they were going to repo it. They claim the car had structural damage done on the inside of the car that they didn't notice at first. I had a custom sound system in the car and they knew it. They knew I was taking it out and they actually said they wanted to car back with the factory radio.

They claim that the package tray or back deck where the 6x9's are was cut out and the support of the car is no longer there. I never told the car stereo shop to cut anything but my point is they inspected that car twice and had it for 4 days. They admitted to never looking inside the car so why is that my fault??

I inspected their vehicle and drove it before I signed anything and I'm just wondering if I can't have a car for 4 days and then see something and return it then why should they be able to repo mine?
I’m assuming that you neither made nor caused any alterations to the vehicle after it was delivered to and inspected by the dealer.

If that is the case, then the dealer has no legal grounds to rescind the sale. And what I suggest you do is to file a formal complaint with the appropriate Michigan agency. Here is the Division you need to call.

Regulatory Monitoring Division, Bureau of Information Security (BIS), Michigan Department of State at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).

And don’t let any grass grow under your feet. Call Monday A.M.

In the meantime, if the dealer attempts to take the vehicle report an act of larceny to the police.

Even if the circumstances were such as to entitle the dealer to rescind the transaction, it could not seize the vehicle legally without first a determination by a court of law voiding the transaction and the issuance of a writ of assistance.

ALSO, completely ignore this utter foolish nonsense that the dealer may be “sitting on the finances”!

Whether the purchase money was financed in-house or elsewhere is totally insignificant.

Mass_Shyster

I’m assuming that you neither made nor caused any alterations to the vehicle after it was delivered to and inspected by the dealer.

If that is the case, then the dealer has no legal grounds to rescind the sale. And what I suggest you do is to file a formal complaint with the appropriate Michigan agency. Here is the Division you need to call.

Regulatory Monitoring Division, Bureau of Information Security (BIS), Michigan Department of State at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).

And don’t let any grass grow under your feet. Call Monday A.M.

In the meantime, if the dealer attempts to take the vehicle report an act of larceny to the police.

Even if the circumstances were such as to entitle the dealer to rescind the transaction, it could not seize the vehicle legally without first a determination by a court of law voiding the transaction and the issuance of a writ of assistance.

ALSO, completely ignore this utter foolish nonsense that the dealer may be “sitting on the finances”!

Whether the purchase money was financed in-house or elsewhere is totally insignificant.
Do not listen to Latigo. He is wrong!!!!!!

You can't call until Tuesday. Monday is a holiday. (The rest of the post seems OK)

racer72

Without actually reading the actual contract, there is no way anyone on the internet can give the absolute correct answer. OP, I suggest reading your contract front to back before making any kind of decision. Dealers tend to make contract beneficial to themselves and I would bet there is some language in the contract that states their right to recision.

latigo

Do not listen to Latigo. He is wrong!!!!!!

You can't call until Tuesday. Monday is a holiday. (The rest of the post seems OK)
Sorry for that, but since I quit working days seem all the same, painful.

Anyhow, OP can go here and submit his complaint on line, today, tomorrow or whenever.

michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-14636-179786--F,00.htm

[SUP]By the way, what day is this?[/SUP]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">