• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car 'Stolen' by HoA We Were Not Made Aware of by Management Co

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CathyP

Nevada

My husband and I moved to a condo in Stateline, Nv about a month ago. We signed a very generic contract that contained no mention of an HoA or parking regulations, other than to limit the number of vehicles per tenant. One of our vehicles is perfectly operational and legally plated and tagged, but once snow season hit the rear-wheel drive truck was unsafe to drive, so we parked it in a no plow area off the street.

Yesterday, we received a notice on the truck that it was in violation of a local HoA's rules that we'd never heard of. We called, after hours, and spoke with someone who promised to not tow it until management had called us the next morning do we could figure out what was going on.

We never received a call, and today we come home and our vehicle is gone. We call and speak to the same individual who proceeds to attempt to get ahold of any sort of manager or supervisor, and no one will answe her calls (again, this is after hours, both my husband and I work).

In an attempt we gain more info, we call our management company and speak to the manager who is absolutely batty (she recently scheduled a work order to replace the fridge in my name, with my contact info, requiring me to miss work, when the work order was actually for my neighbor). She proceeds to berate us, tells us that we should have read the rules she gave us, in the contract.

The contract does not mention an HoA. We signed nothing regarding an HoA. There are no signs anywhere near our building (actually none that I can find at all). We were provided with no rules or even notified that there were rules. Our management company manager has stated she will not help us (I think she's senile enough to think she did give us the rules; easy to prove she didn't even she will be unable to provide documentation).

I am wondering, legally, what our options are. There is no point in calling the police at this point, we know, but what is our next step? Please and thank you for any advice!

CdwJava

So ... has anyone admitted that it was towed? If not, you may want to make that police report.

LdiJ

Nevada

My husband and I moved to a condo in Stateline, Nv about a month ago. We signed a very generic contract that contained no mention of an HoA or parking regulations, other than to limit the number of vehicles per tenant. One of our vehicles is perfectly operational and legally plated and tagged, but once snow season hit the rear-wheel drive truck was unsafe to drive, so we parked it in a no plow area off the street.

Yesterday, we received a notice on the truck that it was in violation of a local HoA's rules that we'd never heard of. We called, after hours, and spoke with someone who promised to not tow it until management had called us the next morning do we could figure out what was going on.

We never received a call, and today we come home and our vehicle is gone. We call and speak to the same individual who proceeds to attempt to get ahold of any sort of manager or supervisor, and no one will answe her calls (again, this is after hours, both my husband and I work).

In an attempt we gain more info, we call our management company and speak to the manager who is absolutely batty (she recently scheduled a work order to replace the fridge in my name, with my contact info, requiring me to miss work, when the work order was actually for my neighbor). She proceeds to berate us, tells us that we should have read the rules she gave us, in the contract.

The contract does not mention an HoA. We signed nothing regarding an HoA. There are no signs anywhere near our building (actually none that I can find at all). We were provided with no rules or even notified that there were rules. Our management company manager has stated she will not help us (I think she's senile enough to think she did give us the rules; easy to prove she didn't even she will be unable to provide documentation).

I am wondering, legally, what our options are. There is no point in calling the police at this point, we know, but what is our next step? Please and thank you for any advice!
You need to retrieve the vehicle, paying what is necessary to do so, and then figure out who, if anyone, you can sue to get reimbursed. At the same time, you need to contact the HOA in question to find out what the parking rules are so that you do not have this problem again before you figure out who to sue to resolve the overall problem.

I am suspecting that you need to park that particular vehicle in your main parking spot until you get more information. You are also going to have to find out a way to speak to people during normal business hours, despite the fact that both of you work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">