• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed, can they do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chotaboy

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I parked my car in what appears to be visitor parking at a new apartment building in Cambridge, MA. There are no signs saying anything will be towed or that there is no parking there. Other sections of the lot are marked reserved for certain people and another part which is behind a security gate is marked for tenants only. Where I parked in the "visitor" lot were other vehicles including an electrician van. There is a sign in front of one spot that says "PArking for Future Tenants". I did not park in front of that but I assumed it's meant to be a marketing gimmick. (this was used as there excuse for towing me)I was there to repair a tenants computer. The concierge asked for ID and who I was there to see but never said anything about where I parked. Also the tenant I was there to see assured me there was visitor parking. I also found a note on my back window (after I got my car back) that someone wrote saying I would be towed in 30 minutes. However the time listed that the note was supposed to have been written was 15 minutes before I even arrived. I was in the building for an hour and a half. They had my car towed. It cost me $110.00 plus I lost the next 2 jobs I was supposed to do, and my car isn't running or driving right. There may be damage underneath. It appears they dragged it onto the wrecker. Did they have the right to do this? People are telling me only the police can order a tow. Also what are my options if any.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">