• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed from condominium, car registered there, owner not notified

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blaze92902

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was away on temporary military duty and my disabled vehicle was towed from a parking space at a condominium, where it's registered as residing there.

When I came back, I went to visit my mother (she lives there) and the car was no longer there. I contacted the company that tows for that condo, and was told they didn't know anything about it, but they would let me know if they did. I did not receive a response back, so I contacted the police eventually. They told me that the condo would be the only one that would have towed the vehicle. Eventually I contacted the company again and was told that they would try to find out, and that they didn't know anything about the vehicle.

To no avail, I was not contacted and assumed the car really wasn't towed by them. On a whim, I went to the business and spoke to them in person. Left my name, VIN number, and phone number for them to once again check it out. A couple days later, I was called and they confirmed that they did indeed tow my vehicle. I wasn't notified from the beginning, and they are sticking me with a hefty bill for the storage of the vehicle, $70 a day.

The vehicle did not have a plate on it at the time of being towed. It was unable to run, so I switched the registration to a new vehicle, then left shortly for temporary military duty.

Am I obligated to pay this fee?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you are obligated to pay it.

I imagine there are rules against leaving broken down cars sitting in the community parking lot.

blaze92902

Yes, you are obligated to pay it.

I imagine there are rules against leaving broken down cars sitting in the community parking lot.
They don't know it's broken down, #1

#2 It's registered there as being a vehicle of which is owned by a resident in the condo.

single317dad

Is there any local ordinance against parking a vehicle which does not have current registration, insurance, and/or tags? I haven't checked NY, but those aren't generally done on a state level. Most of the time it's a county or municipality that passes those regulations.

Either way, it's highly likely that the towing company was right to tow the vehicle and that you actually owe the fees as set forth. If your car is worth significantly less than the accumulated fees, you may be able to negotiate a reduced fee, as otherwise the towing company would probably have to sell your car at auction to recoup their money.

In some states, there's also the possibility of a suspended license for failure to pay towing and impound fees.

LdiJ

They don't know it's broken down, #1

#2 It's registered there as being a vehicle of which is owned by a resident in the condo.
You took the plates off the car. Any car without plates is towed. That is standard practice pretty much everywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">