• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case re-instated after I moved away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ankhharu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Back in August, I made a court appearance. I had been sued by a collection agency and had began fighting it. On the court date, the collection agency attorney did not show and the case was dismissed. 1 month later, they filed a motion to re-instate and it was granted. now I'm supposed to go back to court in November, 11/01/2008. The problem now is, 2 weeks after the trial, my father passed away in Georgia. I decided that going back to Texas was pointless and I moved away. I wanted to be near other family and friends, not alone in Texas, so I moved to Montana. What should be my next course of action? Can I file a motion to dismiss or do I request a change of venue. My Texas Legal Forms book is conveniently in storage down south so i'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Please help and thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Back in August, I made a court appearance. I had been sued by a collection agency and had began fighting it. On the court date, the collection agency attorney did not show and the case was dismissed. 1 month later, they filed a motion to re-instate and it was granted. now I'm supposed to go back to court in November, 11/01/2008. The problem now is, 2 weeks after the trial, my father passed away in Georgia. I decided that going back to Texas was pointless and I moved away. I wanted to be near other family and friends, not alone in Texas, so I moved to Montana. What should be my next course of action? Can I file a motion to dismiss or do I request a change of venue. My Texas Legal Forms book is conveniently in storage down south so i'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Please help and thanks in advance.

**A: simple, hire an attorney in TX to represent you or pay up what is due and owing.

Ankhharu

**A: simple, hire an attorney in TX to represent you or pay up what is due and owing.

Not so simple.
I don't have the money for an attorney otherwise I would have already retained one.

There is no way i'm paying these scoundrels, its not my debt. Which is why they didn't bother showing up the first time.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Not so simple.
I don't have the money for an attorney otherwise I would have already retained one.

There is no way i'm paying these scoundrels, its not my debt. Which is why they didn't bother showing up the first time.
**A: But I am sure the scoundrels will show up in court now and when they do and you don't, there will be a default judgement against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">