• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing a case to another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heather1218

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My ex husband and I divorced Dec 2013 in Alabama (no children in the marriage). He is military. I have since returned to our home state of Mississippi and he has been gone from Alabama since June 2014 to Nevada. He has now filed "contempt of court" regarding a vehicle in the divorce decree in Alabama. The vehicle is registered in Mississippi and neither parties have lived in Alabama in over a year. Of course, I have a difference of opinion and am willing to go to trial regarding this issue. My question is... Is it possible for me to have the case moved to our home state of residence/where I reside? Even if the divorce was done in Alabama? (It is just too far of a drive and time consuming all trying to maintain my full time job and raise my children) I have not been able to find any information about this in my search.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">