• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing proposed court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daffan

What is the name of your state? Los angeles, California

I have an OSC coming up. I had to write an order (proposed) to submit with the notice, proof of service, etc.

Problem: I used a sample from California Practice and Pleading. In it, you are to state whether defendants and plaintiffs appeared and who their counsel was. I took a psychic wild shot that the defendant was showing in pro per. If however, it turns out the defendant is a no show or acquires counsel, how do I make changes to the order? Do I let the judge know in court that I need to change it?

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

Q: If however, it turns out the defendant is a no show or acquires counsel, how do I make changes to the order?
A: Use a ball point pen.

Q: Do I let the judge know in court that I need to change it?
A: You guess.

daffan

Really?

So, let's say the defendant comes in with counsel. At the end of the hearing, providing most things go my way, I say (?) to the judge, I will need to amend (or revise?) my proposed order to reflect the defendant is here with counsel? Then what? The clerk hands it to me and I handwrite corrections? Now what? I give it back? Is this the "official order" that the judge will sign?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Q: At the end of the hearing, providing most things go my way, I say (?) to the judge, I will need to amend (or revise?) my proposed order to reflect the defendant is here with counsel?
A: Yes.

Q: Then what?
A: Get out your ball point pen and write that on the order and scratch out the incorrect part.

Q: The clerk hands it to me and I handwrite corrections?

Q: Now what? I give it back?

Q: Is this the "official order" that the judge will sign?

daffan

Thank you. For all the stresssing I've done over every document, even the black line at the bottom of pleading paper, this seems just a tad "messy" compared to other California procedures. But hey, it's easy. Thanks for your help.

S

seniorjudge

daffan said:
Thank you. For all the stresssing I've done over every document, even the black line at the bottom of pleading paper, this seems just a tad "messy" compared to other California procedures. But hey, it's easy. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">