• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrears turning into Civil suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Battgirl

I live in GA and my ex lives in AL. I have an open case with the state of GA for child support. His arrears are at $32,000 and he has been running from them for years. He has had to take a job now that does not pay "under the table" and the state of GA has garnished his wages. He has now hired a lawyer to sue me to accept a payout of around $6000 and close the case. Do I need to hire a lawyer or should the state of GA take the case? I have called them and asked about the payout and they said I could not close the case without the full amount being payed. HELP!

Isis1

I live in GA and my ex lives in AL. I have an open case with the state of GA for child support. His arrears are at $32,000 and he has been running from them for years. He has had to take a job now that does not pay "under the table" and the state of GA has garnished his wages. He has now hired a lawyer to sue me to accept a payout of around $6000 and close the case. Do I need to hire a lawyer or should the state of GA take the case? I have called them and asked about the payout and they said I could not close the case without the full amount being payed. HELP!
have you ever been on state aid? cash aid? food stamps? medicl?

are you willing to accept the payout?

Battgirl

I have never been on any type of state aid....and I am willing to accept a payout but I think it should at least be half of what he owes.

Isis1

I have never been on any type of state aid....and I am willing to accept a payout but I think it should at least be half of what he owes.
then you stand your ground. say no. the state will not budge without your permission.

Battgirl

I intend to but I don't understand why he is hiring an attorney and I am being served civil papers for him not paying his child support. Its crazy.

Isis1

I intend to but I don't understand why he is hiring an attorney and I am being served civil papers for him not paying his child support. Its crazy.
it's a scare tactic. don't let it bug you. they cannot force you to take the payout. there is no law on the books that says his child support will disappear as a whole if you do not accept.

now, the statute of limitations....may be a different story in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">