• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Choked on plastic in my food

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandman0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was eating a Taco Bell burrito and after taking a bite something got caught in my windpipe and i started choking. I was able to vomit up the food and inside it was a 6 inch long piece of plastic which appeared to be from the end of a bag. I was only choking for a few seconds and was able to vomit the plastic out of my throat, but should I get a lawyer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was eating a Taco Bell burrito and after taking a bite something got caught in my windpipe and i started choking. I was able to vomit up the food and inside it was a 6 inch long piece of plastic which appeared to be from the end of a bag. I was only choking for a few seconds and was able to vomit the plastic out of my throat, but should I get a lawyer?
If you are currently choking, I would suggest that you wait until your airway is clear before proceeding.
If you are no longer choking, then I would suggest that you clean up the vomit.

I don't think a lawyer will do either for you.

sandman0

If you are currently choking, I would suggest that you wait until your airway is clear before proceeding.
If you are no longer choking, then I would suggest that you clean up the vomit.

I don't think a lawyer will do either for you.
Thanks for sarcasm. I guess I will seek helpful advice from somewhere else,

Zigner

You don't have a lawsuit. Call Taco Bell and ask them to refund you for the dinner.
The guy chomped on the plastic bag...how is that the fault of Taco Bell?

(Taco Bell *might* give him something on a PR basis.)

Zigner

If the plastic was IN the burrito that is an issue but he has a problem PROVING it.
True - and upon further reflection, I think the OP is saying he choked on some sort of plastic bag that is used to package the food prior to serving, not the bags that the customer uses to carry out.

In any case, there are no real damages. Definitely not the lottery one might hope for.

justalayman

how do you suck down a 6 inch piece of anything and not notice it is in your mouth? Do you simply open your mouth and slide everything directly into your throat so as to avoid chewing?

Ladyback1

how do you suck down a 6 inch piece of anything and not notice it is in your mouth? Do you simply open your mouth and slide everything directly into your throat so as to avoid chewing?
ahhh....so you've seen teenagers/really young "adults" eat!

Of course, if OP is a woman, she may have struck on a new career for herself (6 inches and all before gagging--pretty impressive!);):eek:

Paul84

Based on the modus operandi of many corporate defense attorneys, if you ever filed suit, they might claim you were so enamored of Taco Bell's delicious burrito that you couldn't wait to unwrap it properly and chomped down on the outside plastic cover.

jack-d

It would not hurt a bit to get an opinion from a lawyer. as they typically will offer you a 30 min consultation for free.

he might want to discuss proof, like do you have the piece of plastic, that you were ok befire eating and of course any video especially from the store if they haven't destroyed it, and any names of witnesses

jack-d

He will also want to know what damages the poster has.
cbg, just questioning

wouldn't the lawyer already consider the idea of pain & suffering as a damage?

especially since when someone chokes so violently that they vomit, and during that it could have gotten lots worse like death, plus vomiting that hard can leave someone very weak and exposed to other dangers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">