• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil action to recover wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiTechWorker

What is the name of your state? ARIZONA

Background:
I've been trying to recover my paycheck from a former employer for about 6 months. I checked with the labor board in my state and I can file a claim with them and they will investigate and attempt to recover actual wages owed.

I also found that I could file a civil case for up to 3 times the amount owed. This amount (3x) is over the $2500.00 limit for small claims in AZ so it would have to be filed in Justice court.

Question:
I'm concerned that if I file in Justice court, once served the employer will quickly pay my the amount owed to make me go away. But if the employer does this, what happens to the case? Can I still pursue the action for the 3x the amount owed minus what was paid? By filing the case I would be out $55.00 filing fee plus whatever $$ it would take to serve them.

I realize that I'm not talking about alot of $$ here...in fact, I don't really need the money but its now down the the principle of it :mad: and the fact that I've been jerked around by this employer for 6 months.

So is a civil case a waste of my time? Should I just let the labor board pursue this for the actual amount owed?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Eric

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">