• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Case Help??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sellmerch

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

I was recently served what I would call a summons from my local sheriff dept. Basically it was requiring that I respond within 20 days to a previous employers allegations that I took money while in there employement. If I failed to reply to the Lawyer and sheriffs department within 20 days of being served I would be in default and at the mercy of whatever the employer claims I took. I did have my Lawyer contact the plaintiff and request a full accounting of there claims and also had the deadline extended another 20 days which the plaintiff agreed to. I have recieved what I would call a very spotty accounting of there claim against me and have reviewed it. Bottom line is that I did take some money, but far less than what they are claiming. The documentation they sent seems to back up my side but who can be sure once Lawyers are involved. I would like to try and keep this out of court but I will not pay anywhere near what they are asking. Another major issue is that my Lawyer now has decided he will need more money to continue with this case. I have already paid him $5000 for 3-4 phone calls he made on my behalf!!! Now he wants another $5000 to continue with this case. The employer is asking for $14000 and I know for a fact with proof that I took no more than $3800. Does it make any sense at all to try and negotiate out of court, especially with the ever growing legal fees I am looking at? Also, If I lose the case in court, Do I have to pay the legal fees and expenses of the Plaintiff in the case? Any info on how to proceed would be very much appreciated!! Also, I really feel my current lawyer has taken me for a ride ($5000 dollars for 3-4 phone calls) He claims because it looks like it will be a civil case that he would need an additional $5000 to continue with the case. My feeling is that he has not even earned the first $5000 retainer I already paid for his representation

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">