• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Lawsuit at Foreign Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrik

Can a foreigner file a civil lawsuit against a US citizen at his country's court? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, can a person in Thailand file a civil lawsuit against a U.S. citizen who resides in the US at Thailand court?
That wasn't your original question. Your question would be based on Thailand law - we only handle US law here, sorry.

LdiJ

So, can a person in Thailand file a civil lawsuit against a U.S. citizen who resides in the US at Thailand court?
It would be difficult. The courts in Thailand would have no jurisdiction or authority over a resident of the US. If they were able to successfully file and win a suit, they would have to then bring that judgment to the US and ask a court in the US to domesticate/enforce the judgment.

Chrik

It would be difficult. The courts in Thailand would have no jurisdiction or authority over a resident of the US. If they were able to successfully file and win a suit, they would have to then bring that judgment to the US and ask a court in the US to domesticate/enforce the judgment.
I simply used Thailand to illustrate my point. Your explanation does make a sense. It doesn't seem logical for the courts at a foreign country to have authority over a US citizen residing in the US.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I simply used Thailand to illustrate my point. Your explanation does make a sense. It doesn't seem logical for the courts at a foreign country to have authority over a US citizen residing in the US.
It's possible in some cases - your vague hypotheticals aren't helping you.

Can a foreigner file a civil lawsuit against a US citizen at his country's court? Thanks.
As has already been pointed out, your question is a little vague to answer with any definitive answer, and this forum doesn't deal with non US laws.

But in general: It depends on the country and the law in that country that was allegedly violated, but in general, yes, someone in a foreign country could potentially file a lawsuit against a US citizen in his country's court.

Ooops, what Zinger said...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">