• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruffri99

What is the name of your state?NY

After getting a ruling in your favor for certain amount of money in civil court, What are the ways and means of collecting the judgement. Example if the defendant is incarcerated and will be for a longtime and is 19 years old but lives with his parents. How can i collect judgement? Thank you

S

seniorjudge

ruffri99 said:
What is the name of your state?NY

After getting a ruling in your favor for certain amount of money in civil court, What are the ways and means of collecting the judgement. Example if the defendant is incarcerated and will be for a longtime and is 19 years old but lives with his parents. How can i collect judgement? Thank you
I am not sure how you can be in the clink and live with your parents at the same time, but it sounds like to me you will never see a penny of your judgment since this guy probably has no assets.

hbreen

If I recall correctly, a NY judgment is good for 10 years with the option to renew for 10 more. My suggestion would be to wait for a while, try to keep track of where he is and revisit it in a few years when he may have some assets.

HBreen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">