• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Suit Questions and advice needed. Chinese drywall issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avsfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I own a property in Alabama that has Chinese Drywall in it so I would like to be part of the remediation & medical civil suits pending. I do not live in that region of the country, therefore I am unable to interview person to person. I have not had great success dealing with firms down there approx 50-50. I am looking for advide on anything that will help. Here are a few questions & I'm sure that I am missing a ton.

1. How is personal lawyer paid in a large civil suit? Other than entering you in the case what do they do?

2. I'm I better off with a small or large firm?

3. Is there any way to research firms other than the BBB?

Thank you in advance

tranquility

Shouldn't you have already started a suit? If not, with the amounts so large, I'm sure there are attorneys who advertise regarding the specific issue. This is not easy litigation so I'd probably go with those already up-to-speed with all the issues.

Have you dealt with the tax issues yet?

justalayman

not sure the specific info relates to the OP but I think the site may still provide OP some useful info

http://www.laed.uscourts.gov/drywall/drywall.htm

avsfan

Shouldn't you have already started a suit? If not, with the amounts so large, I'm sure there are attorneys who advertise regarding the specific issue. This is not easy litigation so I'd probably go with those already up-to-speed with all the issues.

Have you dealt with the tax issues yet?
I just found out within the last month or I would have already entered. When I first found out the civil suit closed two weeks before. I see now that it's extended to the end of this month. How would I determine who is up to speed or not? Also I heard that if my builder had insurance when he was building they may have to cover it. I havent dealt with anything yet and I only found out when I had an inspection done for a buyer:mad:

tranquility

I just found out within the last month or I would have already entered. When I first found out the civil suit closed two weeks before. I see now that it's extended to the end of this month. How would I determine who is up to speed or not? Also I heard that if my builder had insurance when he was building they may have to cover it. I havent dealt with anything yet and I only found out when I had an inspection done for a buyer:mad:
Found out...what? That you have Chinese drywall or that you have damages? No one can advise without the facts. There are so many variables that I can't answer, but you may already be past any available relief. I can't tell you how to find an attorney. I do know there is a button at the bottom of the page that might help.

avsfan

Found out...what? That you have Chinese drywall or that you have damages? No one can advise without the facts. There are so many variables that I can't answer, but you may already be past any available relief. I can't tell you how to find an attorney. I do know there is a button at the bottom of the page that might help.
Found out both that I do have Chinese drywall & that I have damages. The house will have to be stripped 100% of all drywall, electrical, & plumbing. And I now know that members of my family have had illness & surgery related to the side effects from the sulfurous gases. Up until the inspection I wasn't aware of any of this. I've had the AC coil replaced three times & that is one of the main tell signs that I've found out. Unfortunetly the AC repairmen never told me this. What other facts are you looking for so I can answer them? Also the house was built in 2007. Most of the information I found was off site's like chinesedrywall.com

Thanks for everyones input so far

avsfan

I'd see an attorney immediately. You may be past the statute of limitations.

How would I determine which lawyers are up to speed? My problem is I'm a thousand miles away from there. The drywall site I have says I have till September 30th. So hopefully that's accurate.

tranquility

How would I determine which lawyers are up to speed? My problem is I'm a thousand miles away from there. The drywall site I have says I have till September 30th. So hopefully that's accurate.
The link does not seem to have a direct relationship to you unless you have already been notified. I could be wrong, but I think you are not going to be happy with any results there.

You will have to choose your own attorney using whatever criteria you determine appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">