• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil vs. Small Claims Suits in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLynne

Thanks to all for your responses/advice. I will file in Small Claims Court; but with my luck the dollar limit of small claims will increase after my claim is over! How is it that some states have higher limits than others? How often do they increase the dollar limits? Seems that it's been capped here at $3,000 forever. When I do file the claim, should I state that actual amount of damages, or just $3K plus court costs? I got burned once before on an eviction, since I only stated the dollar amount of the rent, and listed damages as being "unknown at this time". I got nothing for damages; inspite of a slew of pictures (before & after) and receipts. How did they expect me to know what all the damages were when the people were still living there? Please respond. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again!

badapple40

GLynne said:
Thanks to all for your responses/advice. I will file in Small Claims Court; but with my luck the dollar limit of small claims will increase after my claim is over! How is it that some states have higher limits than others? How often do they increase the dollar limits? Seems that it's been capped here at $3,000 forever. When I do file the claim, should I state that actual amount of damages, or just $3K plus court costs? I got burned once before on an eviction, since I only stated the dollar amount of the rent, and listed damages as being "unknown at this time". I got nothing for damages; inspite of a slew of pictures (before & after) and receipts. How did they expect me to know what all the damages were when the people were still living there? Please respond. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again!
State the full amount of your claim. They'll cap it for you.

GLynne

Civil vs. Small Claims - Losing Sleep

Thanks for helping me find my original thread. Now you have the rest of the story! My sleepless tenant did not give me written notice, or enough time to solve the problem before they left. They were well aware I filed the eviction get rid of their noisy neighbor and solve the problem. Moved out anyways, unannounced. I made my decision to file in Small Claims Court, so I would not have to hire a lawyer. Since the defendant has one. Attorney attempted to counter claim for more than three times the amount allowed in Small Claims, so it was capped at $3,000. I want to keep this in Small Claims. Since this is my case, the defendant can't move to a higher court unless I want to; right? I've been doing my homework, but I still cannot understand how I can lose, even without a lawyer, if I have sufficient evidence. My other problem is I'm running out of time. Just received the counter claim; not enough time to hire a lawyer or subpoena anyone. Do I have the right to delay the court date, or should I just stick to my guns in two days?!!! Running out of time...need word of wisdom! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">