• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

takenforaride

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Way back in 1997 I attended a community college. On the day of registration I was told that I could not recieve my books because there was a problem in the financial aid office. When I went to the office I was handed a peice of paper and told that it was an application for financial aide and all that I had to do was fill it out and I could get my books. So I filled it out and signed it.

Some time later (in late 1999 and early 2000) I recieved a bill from a collection agency stating that I owed money to the college. I spoke with someone at the financial aid office and was told that what i signed was a student loan, not a financial aid document. After many phone calls with the collection agency I paid three large payments and then a few smaller ones to get this taken care of.

Then in 2002 I was contacted by a lawyer saying that the school was filing suit for the non paid bill. Now in 2005 I have a summons to court about this matter. What the heck is going on?

badapple40

takenforaride said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Way back in 1997 I attended a community college. On the day of registration I was told that I could not recieve my books because there was a problem in the financial aid office. When I went to the office I was handed a peice of paper and told that it was an application for financial aide and all that I had to do was fill it out and I could get my books. So I filled it out and signed it.

Some time later (in late 1999 and early 2000) I recieved a bill from a collection agency stating that I owed money to the college. I spoke with someone at the financial aid office and was told that what i signed was a student loan, not a financial aid document. After many phone calls with the collection agency I paid three large payments and then a few smaller ones to get this taken care of.

Then in 2002 I was contacted by a lawyer saying that the school was filing suit for the non paid bill. Now in 2005 I have a summons to court about this matter. What the heck is going on?
Tell me you have receipts and letters from the collection agency regarding the payment of these bills. If so, there is a defense of payment or accord and satisfaction. I suggest answering the complaint and/or hiring an attorney. If you want to post the exact contents of the complaint, I'll tell you what to put in/how to format an answer.

takenforaride

I have 75% of my documentation. The rest was lost in a flood in my basement. Would I consult a general practice lawyer? Is there a statute of limitations? It never even showed up on my credit report. That is weird.

HomeGuru

takenforaride said:
I have 75% of my documentation. The rest was lost in a flood in my basement. Would I consult a general practice lawyer? Is there a statute of limitations? It never even showed up on my credit report. That is weird.
**A: what is weird is that you did not read what you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">