• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compelling a local official to fulfill legal responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfrost2002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I would like to file a motion in Dent County Missouri to ask the court to compel a local official to comply with state law. This elected official does not fulfill the duties of his office as prescribed in state law. I am retired on limited income and would hope this to be an easy process since the law is clear on his duties and he is clearly not in compliance.

Would someone please help me with the proper forms and format for filing? There does not seem to be any help from the judiciary or legal community in Missouri.

With no offense to attorneys intended, I would hope that when trying to compel elected officials to do their job I would not need an interpreter and I cannot afford one. But someone must hold elected officials accountable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I would like to file a motion in Dent County Missouri to ask the court to compel a local official to comply with state law. This elected official does not fulfill the duties of his office as prescribed in state law. I am retired on limited income and would hope this to be an easy process since the law is clear on his duties and he is clearly not in compliance.

Would someone please help me with the proper forms and format for filing? There does not seem to be any help from the judiciary or legal community in Missouri.

With no offense to attorneys intended, I would hope that when trying to compel elected officials to do their job I would not need an interpreter and I cannot afford one. But someone must hold elected officials accountable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That's what elections are for. :cool:

Mass_Shyster

What you're looking for is called a writ of mandamus. There's a complex legal analysis involved in the writ to determine if the plaintiff has standing and if the defendant has discretion for the action being sought.

tranquility

I agree with both the above posters. Change by either method will be expensive and complex. Sorry tfrost2002, your best hope is to appeal to the people involved to change their ways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">