• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Lawsuit!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robert Ewang

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
I wrote a song in 1998. After the song (Music, Melody, Lyrics) were written, I asked a friend of mine to play accompany piano on the song as directed by me. At the time the song was a demo and not specifically for anyone. In 2002 the song was picked up by a major recording artist and released worldwide. New lyrics were written to the same music as is from 1998. The song was written by me in 1998 but in 2002 co-written by me and the artist (who wrote the lyrics and new melody). Now I am being sued by my "friend" who played piano on the song stating that he co-wrote the music. Because this was a demo there was no "work for hire" done. My song was copyrighted in 1998 which listed me as sole writer and owner. What is the strongest point of my case in proving i wrote the song and it wasn't a co-write and what is his strongest point? Do I have any counter-sue remedies? There was no agreement between us in any way. He did not bill me or the current record company for playing on the song. And he was credited on the released album as a piano player not as a writer. Thank you for you time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">