• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

courtesy visit to courthouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, federal

Am a pro-se plaintiff living overseas, and it's been about four months since the defendants and I submitted briefs on their FRCP 12(b) motion to dismiss. In a few weeks, I will be in New York City for a day or two on other matters. Would it make sense to let the judge's clerk (and opposing counsel) know that I would be available for any in-person oral hearing, which defendants had requested when submitting their reply brief?

If not, I was thinking of stopping by the courthouse anyway to see how wired the courtrooms are for e.g. iPads at trial and, if possible, to watch part of a hearing or trial for an hour or so, ideally one presided over by the judge in my case. Would it be bad form, or considered inappropriate, to introduce myself to the clerk (and/or judge) if they have an office that visitors can contact?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">