• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy nieghbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ClariceS

What is the name of your state? New York
I tie my dog out 6 times a day for about 3--5 minutes each time. My neighbor {who has a history of mental illness} complained to our town that my dog barks constantly from 5:30 am till 1:30am ALL DAY LONG. Since I have to go to court to fight these false statements by Ms. Crazy, I have done some homework. I have letters from all of my surrounding neighbors stating that they never hear my dog barking. I also visited 2 of Ms. Crazys old neighbors stating that she was nothing but trouble. She would call the police on them for the least little thing,{closing a door too loudly, parking 6 inches too far on Crazys side of the driveway }.She keeps a log of people that walk by her house {its a busy street} and documents who gives her a dirty look :eek: I have letters from these 2 ex neighbors of hers stating many of the things she had done to them in the past. They also state moving away from her was the best thing that they could ever do. They said they feel sorry for us. Ms. Crazy was also asked to leave her one apartment because so many of the neighbors were complaining to the landlord about her.
Can you think of any thing else I can bring to court besides the letters from the 2 ex-neighbors and the letters I have from all my neighbors stating they never hear my dog. I have also started a log of my own stating the exact timeI let my dog out and how long he's out. I also state if he woofed to come inside.
Please help, I go to court Feb11,2005
Do I have enough evidence to support my case?

badapple40

Yes -- if you can get all of those people to come in and testify. You can subpoena them and force them to come in if you have to. Call the clerk's office, they'll help you do that.

You Are Guilty

ClariceS said:
Do I have enough evidence to support my case?
Nope. Even if this is in Small Claims, the letters are probably not going to be accepted as "proof" of anything. Ideally, you'll want to bring live witnesses into court with you. Barring that, you should get signed and notorized affidavits from your witnesses (at least those are admissible).

Otherwise, it's your word against hers, and it's surprisingly difficult to win a battle of wits with a crazy person.

Good luck.

{edit} No, I'm not blind -- BA snuck that reply in as I was typing this. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">