• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creation of Judgment Lien on Personal Property in NY (CA default judgment)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShingH

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hi folks - any help would be sincerely appreciated.

We have a default judgment entered in LA County Superior Court against a judgment debtor in NYC. In California, we would file a Notice of Judgment Lien on Personal Property (Form J-1) to create the judgment lien, but I am unable to find the NY equivalent of such a form. Even if there was such an equivalent, is it necessary to domesticate the judgment to NY? If so, what process, and would I run into problems since it was a default judgment? Thanks for any information or advice.

You Are Guilty

ShingH said:
Even if there was such an equivalent, is it necessary to domesticate the judgment to NY?
Bingo! You got it.

If so, what process, and would I run into problems since it was a default judgment?
That's way more involved than this website is going to be able to help you with. You can consult a NY attorney, try the library, or start reading the NY Court website here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/litigants/

ShingH

Whew! Well thanks for the info; I've browsed the NY courts' website but didn't find any specific info... will try checking with a clerk in the AM to see if they can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">